Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cuban Mohogany

"Jamaican Cuban Mahogany" Only very successful trees can afford TWO homes.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    That ad on craigslist has existed in one form or another for several years now, I believe.

He apparently hasn't found the right buyer yet.
    Even though a sucker is born every minute, this one hasn't been born yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    That ad on craigslist has existed in one form or another for several years now, I believe.

He apparently hasn't found the right buyer yet.
    What makes you think he doesn't just keep selling and replacing it? Hey, I don't know the guy so I don't want to accuse anyone of anything, but if he's really been trying to sell it for several years, it makes you wonder.

I seriously doubt anyone is buying it at $25,000.

He could be doing bait and switch type stuff, though. Figure someone calls him and offers him a fifth of what he's asking, he could go through the bit "well, actually I just sold that wood but I have some that's just as nice, it's just not cuban".

That ad seems to resurface in Fl every once in awhile. A friend of mine rescued some Cuban Mahogany for me after the last hurricane. From a chipper of all horrible fates.

It's much darker than that. I'd pass.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Cuba, Jamaica, South Florida, Haiti/Dominican Republic (formerly called Hispaniola) and a few other Caribbean locations are considered the natural range of "Cuban" Mahogany (Swietenia mahagoni), so Jamaican Cuban Mahogany isn't a contradiction in terms.

I got about 3BF of mahogany thirty years ago on a trip to St. Croix, AVI, where only dead or downed trees can be harvested legally. It is lighter in color and weight, so probably not Cuban, never mind what the sawyer said. Time to make something from it though. I also have a piece of almond, 2x4 x 40". It has the most evil-looking intertwined grain I've ever seen, braided like a hawser rope.

Blog Entries
    image.jpgThe pulpit and cane back chairs at the St. Thomas Reformed Church, which was last built (after the second time it burned down) in 1844. The original congregation started in 1672 at Fort Christian. These are Cuban Mahogany, very likely from Jamaica, although it could be local. By 1844 much of the local stuff had been cleared for sugar cane and/or used as lumber already.

I shamelessly admit to often losing track of Pastor Jeff's sermons as I stare at the woodwork. The rest of the church is not ornate, and I really love that the wood itself is the adornment.