Thread: cove cutting

Question cove cutting

I've been cutting various coves on my table saw using the Cove Cutter 1.0 program with great success. Now I need to cut some asymmetric coves and was wondering if there is a similar program available that anyone knew of.
    I've experimented some with decent results but, a program listing fence angles and blade angles would be of great help. I've wasted way too much wood getting the results I needed for one project, now I need to do more.
    Anyone have experience or knowledge that would help me?
    Do like you always do,,,,,get what you always get!!

Lay it out in sketchup? Or woodgears.ca has a printable template
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 11-20-2014 at 12:19 PM.

By asymmetric coves, I assume you've raised one long-edge of the wood while running it across the blade? I don't know of a program but I have an old print-out of patterns done by Frank Klauz that I could probably photocopy and send to you via PDF. It is interesting the patterns one can get raising one side and tilting the blade and the angle of attack on the blade.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

No, but that sounds interesting,,,and dangerous.
    What I'm after is an offset (?) cove that is obtained by tilting the blade as well as running the stock across it at an angle. This creates a cove cut where one side of the curve is longer than the other or, an asymmetric curve.
    All the calculators I've found are great for establishing the parameters for a symmetrical cove, but, at the same time, all I've found concerning asymmetrical coves seem to be trial and error methods. That is a very wasteful, not to mention frustrating, way to accomplish this.

I'm pretty sure what your after is essentially a quarter of an ellipse . Thinking about it quickly, it doesn't seem possible, but I haven't had any coffe, so......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Very clever. I wonder where he got the handy little indicator or if it is home made.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Very clever. I wonder where he got the handy little indicator or if it is home made.
    I believe he has a flash based calculator somewhere on the site and you can pront them.

Thank you Mark, That's exactly what I was looking for. It must not be very popular though,, the link to it it fairly well hidden on woodgears.ca site.

I wrote a program that is out there somewhere for download (maybe still at WoodCentral?) that does what I think you want. It will print a template too. I think it is at my old site too.

Yes, if you Google CoveCutter 2008, you'll find it. Mot sure if that is what you need, but its worth a shot!

Tony
    Last edited by Tony Leonard; 11-26-2014 at 2:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Leonard View Post
    I wrote a program that is out there somewhere for download (maybe still at WoodCentral?) that does what I think you want. It will print a template too. I think it is at my old site too.

Yes, if you Google CoveCutter 2008, you'll find it. Mot sure if that is what you need, but its worth a shot!

Tony
    Yes, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much Tony.