Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air hose reel options

Air hose reel options

I use compressed air for my nail guns, etc and have a small oiled Makita compressor. I really like the flexible polyuerathane hose I have, but don't like the inconvenience of use without a reel. So, I started looking into reels.

Here are couple options I have seen:

1- Goodyear:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    Many great reviews. I like that this is retractable so I can mount it on the ceiling, out of the way. I don't like the rubber hose though. Of course I can change the hose to flexible polyurethane hose, but not sure if it would work properly with the retraction mechanism. Does anyone have an experience on this?

2- Crispo:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    Only two reviews. Not sure how good the quality is. Really like the poly hose, but it is not retractable, so can't mount on the ceiling.

Are there any other options that comes with a quality retractable mechanism and poly hose.

I have a reel similiar to #1 - works great - I much prefer rubber to poly hose anyway so not sure why you think it better - yah its lighter & self coils but in this application that does not matter - rubber is so much more durable that I use it exclusively - YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Christensen View Post
    I have a reel similiar to #1 - works great - I much prefer rubber to poly hose anyway so not sure why you think it better - yah its lighter & self coils but in this application that does not matter - rubber is so much more durable that I use it exclusively - YMMV
    Erik,

I like poly for being light and flexible, which makes using it with nail guns, etc a lot easier. May be I use a shorter whip hose made of poly like those added to HVLP hoses leading to the spray gun.

I bought one at Home Depot, similar to this one http://t.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-BULL-...R50/204489739/ about 12 years ago. Mounted to the ceiling. Use it all the time and have had no issues with it.
    Not sure how a poly hose would hold up in a retractable reel. The spring tension is strong and may fatigue a poly hose quickly.

I bought a reel from Costco years ago, mounted it on the ceiling and it's worked fine. Rubber hose, however.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

this is what I have http://www.harborfreight.com/retract...ose-69265.html

I have had it for a year, I don't use it a lot but it works great when I do, I put my compressor upstairs in the attic of my garage with a wireless switch and have this stick mounted to the ceiling underneath, works great

I have two reels in the ceiling of my shop, both with 50-foot rubber hose and have never had a problem with weight, especially since you only pull out as much hose from the reel as you need and don't have to heft it around with you. I've used poly hose before but given a reel, I agree with others, I'd worry about the springs wearing out the hose too quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    this is what I have http://www.harborfreight.com/retract...ose-69265.html

I have had it for a year, I don't use it a lot but it works great when I do, I put my compressor upstairs in the attic of my garage with a wireless switch and have this stick mounted to the ceiling underneath, works great
    I have that same reel, and I've had it about 10 years...and it works as well today as when I got it. I did replace the hose once, but it was still functional. It was just starting to show some wear and cracking of the out sheath, so before I installed it in the new shop, I took the time to replace it when it was easy. It's one of maybe 2 or 3 items that I would actually recommend from Harbor Freight.

I'll bet my two front teeth that the HomeDepot one is identical and from the same manufacturer.

If you really want a more flexible system, I'd highly recommend good rubber for the main hose, and then keep a short leader of flexible hose to attach to the tool. That's a pretty standard way of achieving what you want without sacrificing durability. You can also add swivels to your tools. That makes a bulky hose a lot more manageable. Most of my air tools have swivels on them. I buy mine from aircraft tool suppliers just because that's who I've always gotten them from, and they're pretty high quality and reliable.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 11-20-2014 at 1:48 PM.

Okay, you guys are convincing me to not worry about the hose weight. Seems like when one doesn't have to drag the hose around when used with a reel it seems like a non-issue. Also, looks like I may not need to spend as much as the Goodyear one costs. Will check to see what is available at Costco, I never had a complaint about items I got there.

Another vote for the HF hose reel. I replaced a Sears Craftsman hose reel. I really really liked the Sears one as it had a mechanism built in that would coil the hose on the spool nice and even. However, the hose leaks on it (at the connection point inside) and I didn't have the nerve to tear into it to replace the hose. So on my HF one, I occasionally have to unreel it and more carefully roll it up otherwise it tends to build on itself and hit the wall due to me not caring how it rolls itself up. That is the only annoyance I have with it. Maybe one day I'll fix my Cman....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I have one that I bought from Senco 40 years ago that holds 200 feet of 3/8". The leakproof swivel is nothing more than a regular 3/8" female quick disconnect. It's been used countless miles of winding and unwinding hoses. It's never leaked, and I have never replaced that one disconnect that operates as the swivel. It has a handle that just goes over a square lug on the other side.

I have two other small reels that each are holding 50' of 1/4" polyurethane hose. One we keep really clean that is only used in houses someone is living in. They each came from Tractor Supply for less than thirty bucks each. The swivels leaked to start with, so I did away with them and leave enough of a tail sticking out though the hole where the hose used to go to the swivel. To reel and unreel, the hose is quick disconnected from the portable compressor, and the tail winds around the handle side and sticks in the loop that used to hold the hose coming out the side that went to the swivel. Not exactly a one step operating scheme, but otherwise is easy to use for a portable rig.

I expect someone still makes the big reel, and if I needed another stationary one, I'd look for one. It used to be in the back of a step van I had, but now it's on the wall in the shop.

HF here also. Works great.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Tractor Supply has one for $80 w/50' rubber hose... works great...

Brilliant! Don't know why I never thought of moving my compressor above the shop.
    Would love to get that monster out of the way. And I'll likely place a HF bet on that reel. Hate the mess from not having one but I also despise the prices generally found on these things. (I don't use air tools regularly)

I'd be concerned about using 1/4" by 100' hose (i.e. Crispo), if you plan on anything more than low demand tools.