Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trend faceshield respirator

trend faceshield respirator

Im looking to buy a Trend face shield respirator,but need some feed back.
    Can you wear glasses comfortably

Any feed back concerning any other brand would be well appreciated
    joe

Yes, I wear glasses comfortably with one. Without a smart charges the battery life is not good. Here is a solution to that.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV-yMPfvRsY
    God is great and life is good!

I use a Trend AirShield Pro with glasses with no problems. As Mike has said - get a smart charger.

Why not just get a good face shield with integral filters? They are about a third of the price of the airshield and no where near as fiddly.

I use mine with safety glasses all the time. Instead of a smart charger I use a light timer. The one I have has a rotary dial and little plastic plugs that you put in when you want to turn the light on or off. I put a plug in to stop the timer at 2 pm and start it at 12 pm. I don't put in a start plug. This gives me a 14 hr charge and the power goes off to the charger. If you have only used your Trend for 4 hrs you can adjust the charge time for a 7 hr charge or just leave it and hope you have enough battery capacity for tomorrow.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

joe
    i just sold my air shield due to its weight. very top heavy.made my neck hurt after prolonged use.

worked well with glasses but parts are pricey and battery life is poor. if you ever have to replace the lens its over 40 bucks. but you can buy overlays for the lens and they work well but in time it does scratch .
    another down side to them is if you use c.a. glue or spray with it on it will suck the fumes back into the face mask and that aint good.
    i replaced it with a s.a.b.a. supplied air breathing apparatus
    the air supply is much better and much cooler. you are drawing outside air from a source other than your work space.
    just my two cents

7. I use with safety glasses. Works well. I also charge with smart charger that Mike came up with. I wear out before the battery does. Expensive but then what doesn't when it comes to wood turning. I would not be without it.

We own two, mine is 7 years old and hers is 2. In that time we have only had one battery fail and it failed with an internal broken wire.
    The switch on mine has gotten sticky.
    Both of them show wear on the seal around the face. But we are wearing them a lot.
    I wear glasses under mine, she usually doesn't.
    We did buy two batteries each.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

I picked up a Trend in 2006. I did find it a little top heavy but never had a problem wearing glasses while using it.

There are a lot of threads about the Trend, Trend-Pro, batteries, smart chargers and what members have done to improve their equipment. Just do an advanced search for 'Trend, batteries' in the Turners Forum and you'll have lots of info available!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I use a 3M full face mask with the Organic vapor filters, P-95 prefilters. I wear glasses with it. I can use lacquer and not smell it. But, if you used this mask you will not be able to replace the batteries or use a smart charger! So there are draw backs. Plus, you have to figure out where to put the money you save.

RP

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey J Smith View Post
    I use a Trend AirShield Pro with glasses with no problems. As Mike has said - get a smart charger.
    Same here. If you get the smart charger (well worth while) I would recommend labeling it for the Trend especially if you have other equipment that uses the same plug. I know a guy that wasn't smarter than his smart charger and plugged it into a lower voltage laser...now he has a new laser and labeled chargers.

12. I guess that each turner has his/her own unique physical and asthetic attributes. I have used the Trend Airshield Pro for nearly 4 years, and have never had an issue with it causing me discomfort. I have a herniated disc in my neck and a shoulder problem as well, but have worn the Airshield Pro for hours on end.

I do think the filters are too expensive and that the charger they send with the unit could be improved to a smart charger, but after reading Mike Peaces post and viewing his video, I ordered the Tenergy smart charger he mentions, and since I have the batteyr cradle as well, charging will be a breeze and should help create a much better battery life.

I also wear glasses, and have not had any issues related to the A.S.P. in that regard. I have replaced the face seal on mine once, as the original just got stretched out so much it would not fit around the face well anymore........we have one of our members in the Central Virginia Woodturners who owns P & R Distributing and has the Trend unit as part of his business, and other Trend products as well. Phil will treat you right if you look him up!

Wearing the Trend has drastically cut down on the amount of sinus infections I used to get.........and protects the lungs and face area as well! I am basically a satisfied user of this unit and think it is an important piece of safety gear for any woodturner.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Like others here I wear glasses under my Trend Airshield Pro with no problems. I did add the smart charger (about $20) and have no issues with battery life on the original battery packs. Bought mine when they first came out. The headband broke three weeks ago, called Trend to purchase a new one. They sent me one no charge! Great customer service!

I wear a full face shield and a 3M 8211 filter mask with glasses. This seems to work fine and since I wear the filter mask all the time in the shop, I don't quite understand the need for a $400 face shield. Is there something I'm missing here? I'm not a cheap guy. I buy what I need and what I want. I have considered this device but just don't get the value. Comments?

"What do you mean my birth certificate's expired?!"

15. Quote Originally Posted by Neil Bosdet View Post
    I wear a full face shield and a 3M 8211 filter mask with glasses. This seems to work fine and since I wear the filter mask all the time in the shop, I don't quite understand the need for a $400 face shield. Is there something I'm missing here? I'm not a cheap guy. I buy what I need and what I want. I have considered this device but just don't get the value. Comments?
    It is recommended that any woodturner use a full faceshield for protection of the eyes and face for protection against flying chips and if it were to happen a piece coming off that might be big enough to take out teeth, eyes or cause death. We have had some fatalities from pieces flying apart, and serious injuries from the same type of events. A filter mask will not stop those and what the Trend Airshield pro and othe PAPR respirator masks do is protect the breathing and the face with a safety shield all in the same unit.

Don't get lured into thinking that something cannot happen to you.........I personally have had wood blanks come apart [totally unexpected of course] and had it not been for a faceshield being worn, I would likely had teeth knocked out or perhaps even more serious injury. It happens in an instant and the only thing you can do is have on protection before the event occurs!

Safety is something that most of us learn after an event, unfortunately.........I am trying my best to become proactive instead of having to deal with the aftermath of a serious, but avoidable injury!

Glad to hear Neil that you are using a full faceshield.......one in combination with a dust mask is an effective way to prevent respiration and impact injuries. Not sure if the dust mask is rated as good as the PAPR devices, but it is a fairly effective combination.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 11-23-2014 at 2:32 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!