Thread: Hard drive platters for mirrors

Hard drive platters for mirrors

Thought I'd try it. Worked great, was even a noticeable difference since my old mirror's gotten pretty bad in the past couple of months. Then tonight while cutting out some overlays, I noticed the top of the lens lighting up. Didn't take long to figure out why, so I grabbed the camera...

-- oddly enough, the plates finished cutting just fine. FWIW, the platter I used feels and acts like glass? I was surprised I was able to cut it out.

But on a good note, seems I don't need to adjust my beam.

You guys who are using these, have you checked them lately? This one lasted thru maybe 20 minutes of use...

hi there
    I and many folks I supplied with use this kind since 3 years now and no visible since of scratch. I don't know what kind of HD disc you use, they are usually made from aluminum with special coating.
    greetings
    waltfl

Blog Entries
    From the looks of your machine, it's not the mirrors that are the problem... it's cleanliness! If you have that much junk floating around that it covers anything and everything like that, I'm surprised the mirrors don't pack their bags the moment you walk away. For all that's holy, man, clean that machine and get some proper airflow in there!
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I'm a computer tech and I destroy a lot of old drives for clients (pick axe works best) 2.5 inch drives are glass, 3.5 inch are aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    From the looks of your machine, it's not the mirrors that are the problem... it's cleanliness! If you have that much junk floating around that it covers anything and everything like that, I'm surprised the mirrors don't pack their bags the moment you walk away. For all that's holy, man, clean that machine and get some proper airflow in there!

pretty much soon as a spec of dust lands on the mirror the index of reflectivity drops like a rock, they get hot...very hot and just burn, seen it happen with gold PVD silicon mirrors and it's never pretty.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !