Thread: Yet another end grain cutting board question

Yet another end grain cutting board question

I have read several threads here about end grain cutting boards and the direction of the grain in regards to expansion and contraction. It sounds like you need to use quarter sawn lumber if you are going to make an end grain cutting board, or atleast the grain runs straight from one side to the other. What if you don't have much quarter sawn lumber and the end grain on your wood runs in different directions between each board? Say one board has more round rings on the end grain and another the end grain runs almost diagonal? How would you orient your end grain in that case? Or just scrap the end grain cutting board plan and make it edge grain?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Pugh View Post
    I have read several threads here about end grain cutting boards and the direction of the grain in regards to expansion and contraction. It sounds like you need to use quarter sawn lumber if you are going to make an end grain cutting board, or at least the grain runs straight from one side to the other. What if you don't have much quarter sawn lumber and the end grain on your wood runs in different directions between each board? Say one board has more round rings on the end grain and another the end grain runs almost diagonal? How would you orient your end grain in that case? Or just scrap the end grain cutting board plan and make it edge grain?
    I recommend orienting the boards for best appearance (always). Then its best to equalize the growth characteristics - ie not all the growth rings oriented the same direction.

I've made dozens of end grain cutting boards, but my idea of one and yours may not be the same. On an end grain cutting board, the grain of each piece runs up and down. End grain is exposed on both cutting surfaces of the cutting board. I am likely missing something here, though.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

I'm with Pat...arrange them in a way pleasing to your eye. If everything has acclimated properly and is a good moisture content, movement should be minimal. Also, you are gluing long-grain to long-grain in this orientation so you'll have a very strong connection and the pieces are small so any movement will be slight and likely not noticeable. Actually, that is a good question: What are the rough sizes of the individual pieces? Are we talking like 1x1" - 2x2" kinda stuff?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

To answer Grant, that is also my idea of end grain cutting board. The end grain, which is the bit of grain that always gets compared to the ends of straws, is exposed on the cutting surface.

To Chris, I am thinking the rough sizes of the individual pieces will no bigger than 1.5"x1.5" and maybe a 1.5" to 2" thick.