Thread: What species of wood is this?

What species of wood is this?

I would like to know for two reasons, the first is I'd like to buy more of this if I can, but I also want to read up on finishing techniques / colors for it.

A while back I purchased some small drops of this neat looking wood from a Woodcrafters store that I found on a travel. Anyway I was making a few small picture frames with it and really like it, the only problem is that I don't know what species it is.

I thought it was a type of maple at first glance but after handling it I'm thinking that it may be pine due to the light weight. I think that it may be Ambrosia Pine but I can't find anything out there with that name. I only thought Ambrosia after seeing Ambrosia Maple.

If anyone is able to correctly identify it, any idea where one can get more of it?

Wood_General.jpg
    http://s22.postimg.org/tiiigb7pd/Wood_General.jpg

Looks like a soft maple to me, wormy maple, but still maple. Just my guess!

All the wormy maple or ambrosia maple I've use has at least some of the "flame" in it, and I've never seen that kind of density of worm holes. Scale is hard to tell from the pictures, but the holes look big too.

+1 on it being maple. I've had some silver maple that was almost that wormy; very close in color and grain.

Good question, unfortunately I didn't think of that when I snapped the picture. The picture frame shown on the bottom has an opening 5.5" wide, each side of the frame is 1 3/8" wide.

I'd be sure to have done something about killing the bugs before bringing it in the house or shop! Agree that it looks like maple.

Brian, can you give an idea of scale ? Are any of the boards 3/4" thick ?

Does look like maple but back up a bit more and take another pic or two. Any wood can be wormy like that.

You mentioned that it feel light, however, so I'm wondering if it might be something else. Maple is pretty dense and the worms didn't chew enough away to make it lighter and I don't notice any ambrosia (which WOULD lighten the wood). It could be birch...maybe beech.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    It's definitely not beech. american-beech1-200x200.jpg It looks like soft maple to me.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Does look like maple but back up a bit more and take another pic or two. Any wood can be wormy like that.

You mentioned that it feel light, however, so I'm wondering if it might be something else. Maple is pretty dense and the worms didn't chew enough away to make it lighter and I don't notice any ambrosia (which WOULD lighten the wood). It could be birch...maybe beech.
    I agree...it does look like maple but I have my doubts. I don't see the sort of grain pattern I normally see in any of the maple I worked with. And, normally, wormy maple tends to have stain streaks along the grain from the worm holes but not always. Nor do I think this is beech or birch.

+1 wormy maple
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Post an end grain closeup of a very cleaned-up end grain and it might be easy to tell. Also a closer face-grain pic would be useful. hard to see the grain from that pic.
    you can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.