Thread: Tempered Hardboard - Finish???

Tempered Hardboard - Finish???

I'm wrapping up a project that includes 1/4" tempered hardboard. Original plan called for 1/4" plywood, but I had the hardboard on hand. Now I'm wondering if I apply a spray polyurethane, or a spray clearcoat enamel, or paint, will the hardboard absorb the sprayed material & delaminate. Don't want to ruin the project due to a bad call on finish.

Your comments are appreciated.

I guess this question might apply to MDF as well.
    Last edited by Al Launier; 11-21-2014 at 8:32 AM.

I have wiped thinned Minwax poly on hardboard with no problems. I made them to cover the builder installed wire shelves in my pantry and it has held up well for over three years.

Will not be a problem, go for it.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

I used Minwax wiping polyurethane on a piece of hardboard that is 32 X 72 inches. It was designed to be a sacrifical and replaceable bench top. The same piece has been on that bench for 6 or 8 hard years and is just now needing replacing. I know the varnish made the surface more durable and I thought it turned out to be kind of attractive as well.

Thanks for your responses.

I will only add that it might be beneficial to lightly scuff sand the tempered hardboard before applying your finish to help with adhesion.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...