Thread: Smaller opening for scroll saw table insert?

Smaller opening for scroll saw table insert?

I bought a Porter Cable 16" scroll saw (pcb370ss) about 2 years ago, and lately I've been making smaller and smaller pieces(some are about 1/4"x3/8"), and I am getting tired of fishing out some of the pieces from the belly of the saw. Does anyone know of a smaller table insert for those saws, or am I going to have to make one?

I just lay down blue tape over the opening.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Another option would be to make a sort of auxiliary table top from a piece of hardboard with a slot sawn in with the same blade. That would give you a zero clearance opening.

Blog Entries
    I do both as Chris and Dave point out. If I am just wanting to prevent fall through I use tape. If I need support I use hardboard. Nothing fancy I just slice a slot in the hardboard with the blade until the hardboard is in the position I want. A piece of double stick tape or two keeps it stable while I'm working.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'm not familiar with your saw, but my Delta Q3 scroll saw has a place for an insert in the table, and I found that it's the same insert as the one used in the Delta Band Saws. They were sold as inserts for the band saw, but they also fit their scroll saw. I bought a package of 5 and use them, I think from Peachtree http://www.ptreeusa.com/band_saw_acc.htm (scroll way down the page) for both my scroll saw and my band saw. They have no blade hole in them, so you cut the zero clearance slot during installation.

Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I just lay down blue tape over the opening.
    +1 I also made an auxiliary table out of 1/4 hardboard but the blade moves around enough that it eventually enlarges the hole. So blue tape is the way I go.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks guys! From the looks of it, I'll have to make one.

I have an old deck of playing cards that I use in the shop as shims when I'm trying to make real accurate cuts on the table saw. They also make a SUPERB zero-clearance insert or auxiliary table for the scroll saw. A little glue stick on the bottom and they stay right where you put them. Peel them off when you're done. Hole gets too big or worn - toss them and grab one of the remaining 51 you have in the deck.
    Dave

Nothing is idiot-proof for a sufficiently ingenious idiot!