Thread: Since kitchens seem to be the topic lately.....

Since kitchens seem to be the topic lately.....

I'm working on a kitchen remodel for the wife. The question I have is overall layout along a relatively short wall. Looking at the picture below, is it better to center the range in the bottom cabinets or center it in the top? Because of the corner top cabinet, it can't be centered in both, and I'm just not sure which is more visually pleasing.

Capture.jpg
    Clark Harbaugh

I would center the top of the stove unless this will placed the bottom too -close to the wall

The range is in the lowers. It gets centered in the lowers. And why do you have that filler/depth on the left/right of the diagonal upper?
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 11-21-2014 at 3:34 PM.

Don't see the filler, the diagonal cabinet is deeper than the rest.

I'd center it under your hood, however that ends up, not doing so could be a code violation - flammables above a stove.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

have the vent and range centered. My question was if it would look better to have equal sized lower cabinets on either side of the range or to have equal sized uppers on either size of the vent. here it is drawn both ways. I think the eye is going to be drawn toward the uppers, so maybe that is where I should center it...

centered between equal sized base cabinets (not drawn yet...)
    Capture2.jpg

centered between equal sized upper cabinets
    Capture.jpg
    Clark Harbaugh

Locate your range hood and build accordingly. No sense in making cabinets on both sides of your appliance narrow just to achieve a centerline. A good size bank of drawers between the range and the fridge will give you a decent upper too. Yes, I would try to align the base cabs with the uppers. My point is not to get hung up on a centerline with equal sized cabinets on either end. Make the kitchen work and the look will be just fine.

Looks like you could gain 3" to 6" eliminating those tall legs next to the refrigerator. Are they really necessary? The upper cabinet can be secured to the back wall and the side wall. Add a back splash on the counter top at the refrigerator and eliminate that false wall. In a bigger kitchen a cab for the refrigerator is a nice touch but in this case I would consider loosing it.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Personal I like the look of the equal sizes uppers. It also makes for more counter space to the right of the stove, making the counter more useful.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

I vote for centering the range hood on the uppers, the range always goes directly under that. Your eye will be drawn to the spacing on the uppers more then it will be to the lowers. Just my opinion. Ultimately the customer (in your case wife) has the final say.

Also, I like the bulkhead left of the fridge. It gives the counter top and back splash something to die into and keeps crumbs and stuff from falling down between the fridge and the lower beside it