Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the strangest thing a customer has had you engrave?

What's the strangest thing a customer has had you engrave?

I had a customer in here a few weeks ago with a very large Moose antler they wanted engraved. It took a little bit of creativity, and the bypassing of one of the laser's safety features, but I got it done. Got me wondering what weird stuff others have done?

I can't remember the actual size of the antler, but for scale, the engraving is seven inches in length.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    4 - Q1 converted New Hermes C2000's
    Signature 8080 Plus
    Universal 50w X2-600
    Universal 60w X-660
    Epilog 60w Fusion 40
    50w 5070 China Special

I was bored and did my toilet tank lid.
    IMG_20141121_154107911.jpg
    Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem.(R. Reagan)

Epilog Helix 60 watt laser
    Corel Draw X5
    EngraveLab 8

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pabia View Post
    I was bored and did my toilet tank lid.
    IMG_20141121_154107911.jpg
    Classic, well done!

I've engraved firemen's instructions on 2 fully assembled stainless steel elevator call-button walls (because the building owner didn't want a second instruction plate screwed to the main wall panel)

I've laser engraved the fenders on several horse saddles--

saddle.jpgsaddle2.jpg

But the strangest thing I've ever engraved would be this:

cat1.jpgcat2.jpg

--a 2 foot tall, 150 pound bronze cat sarcophagus. Just holding the thing so I COULD engrave it was half the job. I've done several such engravings since, however, I get only the bottom plates now rather than the finished product.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

How about these? For our end of year BBQ last year.
    IMG_1683.jpg

I didn't see sausages listed on my power and speed recommendation sheet
    Does lasering food like that leave ant sticky residue inside the cabinet?
    Epilog Helix 50W, Epilog Fusion 40 75W, Tekcel Router, Taylor Hobson Model D & K
    Dalgren 2516i, Epilog Fusion Pro 120W

Blog Entries
    OK Kev....just how old are you? I thought Ramses was the last of the Pharoas to do bronze sarcophagus's, feline or otherwise? <grin>

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Didn't seem to, although that might account for the aroma around the lab for the next day or so!
    FWIW we put them on a styrene tray in the cabinet.

When I first got my laser i cut out the words eat me on a piece of bread did a great job but man did it taste nasty the worst burnt taste I have ever tasted
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

When we first got our laser, we laser etched Jesus' Face in toast, it looked really good haha

We've sold quite a bit of laser engraved gingerbread cookies near christmases. Usually they are engraved with a company logo or a seasonal greeting. Works great if the cookie is the right kind!
    Henri Sallinen
    Cardboard designer with a Epilog Helix 24 60w + Gunnar Matboard Cutter + Heidelberg Windmill letterpress

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I've laser engraved the fenders on several horse saddles--

saddle.jpgsaddle2.jpg
    Boy oh boy, your workshop must have stunk after that Kev
    60w EFI 6090 & 100w Z4 Reci 6090 G Weike Lasers, 4 X 4 CNC Router
    CLTT using Oki C822dn & Adkins Press
    Glass Sandblasting, Woodwork Shop, etc...
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc

NOT ONLY THE STRANGEST - certainly, the saddest! A young couple came to me. They had lost their baby right after giving birth. They had taken a photo of the child! Insisted that I engrave the photo on my Home Depot black granite tile. The photo was extremely low-res 'n fussy! I told 'em in advance it wouldn't engrave well; still they wanted me to do it. (not as a "marker", but as a keepsake.) I kept to myself as to the right, or wrong, of their wanting a picture, an engraving, like that. Hard as I worked with Photoshop the engraving was almost indistinguishable. I didn't charge them for it. And, don't think I will ever do anything like this again! Way too sad!

Bill
    (Using Epilog 35W Mini 24)

Quote Originally Posted by John Bion View Post
    Boy oh boy, your workshop must have stunk after that Kev
    Not really, which is why I'm not afraid to talk up my Harbor Freight blowers. Even at the outer edge of the table with the door wide open, the vast majority of the smoke & smell ends up outside!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stearns View Post
    NOT ONLY THE STRANGEST - certainly, the saddest! A young couple came to me. They had lost their baby right after giving birth. They had taken a photo of the child! Insisted that I engrave the photo on my Home Depot black granite tile. The photo was extremely low-res 'n fussy! I told 'em in advance it wouldn't engrave well; still they wanted me to do it. (not as a "marker", but as a keepsake.) I kept to myself as to the right, or wrong, of their wanting a picture, an engraving, like that. Hard as I worked with Photoshop the engraving was almost indistinguishable. I didn't charge them for it. And, don't think I will ever do anything like this again! Way too sad!

Bill
    But your measure as a man was demonstrated by not charging and feeling the pain of their loss.

You are indeed a credit to the industry Bill

best wishes

Dave
    You did what !