Thread: Winged Bowls

Winged Bowls

I went to a Jimmy Clewes demo last week at the Sesquahana Woodturners Club and got inspired to try out winged bowls. I had a bunch of exotic wood bowl blanks that I picked at Middletown Lumber a couple of years back. What better starting material for refining shape from first to most recent the woods are Rosewood, Chakte Vega, Bubinga, and Maple. I am not finished with the shape exploration in this form. The trick is to not let your fingers get in the way of those wings that are going at 1500 rpm. It sort of hurts.
    Comments welcome!

Winged Rosewood.jpegWinged Chakte Vega.jpegWinged Bubunga.jpgWinged Maple.jpeg

These are nice. My favorite is the maple. Shape is a personal thing, but I think you nailed it with the maple.
    Last edited by Matthew Bashore; 11-22-2014 at 6:07 AM.

I also like the maple bowl the best. IMHO the interior is a smoother curve, and the legs appear more delicate.

Nice to follow the evolution of form! I agree with the others, the maple is the more refined piece. Looking forward to seeing where you take this! Have fun!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Of the bowls shown I also prefer the maple. IMHO, the winged bowl looks best at either of the two extremes, not so much in the middle. The two extremes being no defining edge between the 'legs' and the bowl and a well defined bowl much like the maple.
    square_zebra1.jpg This is just to illustrate what I am referring to as the other extreme. Some of the 'manta ray' turnings also come to mind.

You are at least three up on me, and I like the progression and am interested to see where you go with them. (And I do understand about the fast rotating wings)

BTW, color me jealous over the Jimmy Clewes demo. I would l-o-v-e to get a hands-on session with him.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).