Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Child Safety in Workshop

Child Safety in Workshop

I'm planning my work shop now and have started thinking about child safety. I know the most important issue is explaining to the kids and making sure the work shop is locked at all times when I am not there, but I wanted to put in extra safety.

What do you guys think of somehow putting a key lock on each stationary power tools outlet so that it won't work without the key? Does anyone know of one of these premade or will I need to fabricate it myself.

Also, any other suggestions for cases where the work shop is accessible to the kids, but which wouldn't allow them to turn on the dangerous machines?

Just had a thought, maybe a proximity sensor like on the car keys with the keyless entry (FOB). So a machine could only be turned on if the FOB is near enough.

Put a lock on the breaker box and shut off all the power to the tools and lock it when not in use? They make a thing where you can just turn a key and turn the power off and on so that may be easier.
    I've got nothing like that right now and my garage is my shop so I just end up unplugging everything when I'm done.... not fun but it gets the job done.

Blog Entries
    That's what I would do. Put a lock on the breaker box, that way when the kids are older you can leave the breakers energized and you only have to worry about one lost key.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

When I had kids at home, I just would show them my equipment, and tell them it was dangerous if not used correctly, and also tell them not to touch the stuff when I was not around. Worked for me. Works with grandkids too.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Levitt View Post
    I'm planning my work shop now and have started thinking about child safety. I know the most important issue is explaining to the kids and making sure the work shop is locked at all times when I am not there, but I wanted to put in extra safety.

What do you guys think of somehow putting a key lock on each stationary power tools outlet so that it won't work without the key? Does anyone know of one of these premade or will I need to fabricate it myself.

Also, any other suggestions for cases where the work shop is accessible to the kids, but which wouldn't allow them to turn on the dangerous machines?

Just had a thought, maybe a proximity sensor like on the car keys with the keyless entry (FOB). So a machine could only be turned on if the FOB is near enough.
    Like this?
    http://gadgetsgo.com/VB1-4-electric-...ty-safety.html

Personally, if I really wanted to do that, I'd hit the breakers and stick a lock on the box.

Lock the whole shop up. Power tools are not the only things in a shop that can be dangerous.

However, like a lot of things, education goes a long way to preventing accidents.

Like a lot of folks on this forum I grew up in a time when we were told what was dangerous and that they were not toys. For some odd reason kids these days think everything should be an adventure for them. That is not going to change so if you feel the kids who might go in your shop cannot listen and understand your rules, then lock it all up.

Yeah, I guess it depends on the particular kids you have around.... for mine, just giving them "the talk" about not ever touching the tools unless I'm there has worked. So I'm completely comfortable leaving my hand saws, planes and cordless drills lying around- the table saw, planer, etc still get unplugged though just in case.

When explaining safety to children you have to look at it through a child’s eye. Safety concerns that we take for granted are often oblivious to children.
    I thought I explained and demonstrated in detail how to use my spindle sander to my 7 year old grandson. I turned on the machine and the first thing he did, and did quickly, was push the block of wood into the wrong side of the spindle and it kicked back at him. He wasn’t hurt but it did scare him. I could kick myself in the butt for not foreseeing him doing that but I learned a valuable lesson - don’t make any assumptions that they know what they are about to do.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Reischl View Post
    Lock the whole shop up. Power tools are not the only things in a shop that can be dangerous.

However, like a lot of things, education goes a long way to preventing accidents.

Like a lot of folks on this forum I grew up in a time when we were told what was dangerous and that they were not toys. For some odd reason kids these days think everything should be an adventure for them. That is not going to change so if you feel the kids who might go in your shop cannot listen and understand your rules, then lock it all up.
    This ^^^....

I remember vividly Grandpa B. (a machinist for the US Army back in the day) giving me a stern talking-to for trying to get his attention while he was working on the table saw once. But he did not scare me out of the shop. The rules were:

-Shop is off limits without permission
    -If in the shop, don't touch anything without permission
    -If you need to get the operator's attention, stand out of the way but in view and wait to to be acknowledged before acting.

He showed me how to use any tool I wanted. It's stuck with me and Grandpa B passed away with all his fingers intact.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Blog Entries
    When I was little my dad was also very clear that the right way to get the attention of someone working a machine was to stand in a place where they could see you and not to make loud noises.

I have a mostly handtool shop, and do not have kids (yet). We do have friends with kids I walk them into my shop so as to eliminate any mystery behind the 'place that they cannot go' and then explain to them that they will be very badly injured if they go into the shop unattended. I explain that badly injured means stitches and not band-aides and that usually gets the point across. If they want to see some woodworking in action they need only to ask.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I raised my three boys in the 80s and 90s - they were not allowed in the shop without me until they were well into their teens.

As little ones (under 10 years of age or so), whenever they were in the shop, they had my COMPLETE attention. Usually, we were doing a project they wanted to do - and that's ALL I did when they were there. As they got older, they worked more independently, and they and I were able to work simultaneously on our individual projects.

I miss those times - and I'm looking forward to grandkids if any of my three sons ever get married! In the meantime, I adopt neighbourhood kids.

All that said - I like the idea of putting a lock on the breaker box (why didn't I think of that??), and I'm in full agreement with everything everybody else has said.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

You all raise good points. With my 4 yo girl it's worked out OK so far, but it's my son who is a bigger concern. It seems like boys have a lots less regard for staying safe than girls
    So far the only accident I had was when cutting something on a small band saw for my mother and she put her hand in to show me something. I was startled and fed my thumb into the blade. Luckily for me it was just a baby bandsaw (8 inches). It still was a nasty cut that almost needed stitches, I used superglue and after 4 days it was almost completely healed. So maybe the elderly are a bigger concern. Come to think of it I need to make a big sign for the workshop with a list of simple rules.

I agree that education is key, but still an accident on the bandsaw, jointer or table saw could leave the kid crippled for life.

I found these on Amazon, only $16 a pop and seem to be high enough voltage for 3 phase machines. I also agree that a key on the breaker box would be a good idea. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0068AGC2Q/)

My father and grandfather took the time to properly train us as to the proper way to work safely in the workshop. I still think this is the best way to approach the child safety issue. I don't allow phones or IPods when I have my kids and grandkids in the shop. They don't need the distractions.

My saw/shaper, bandsaw, jointer/planer all have lockable disconnect switches for that purpose.

The kids were allowed to use the scroll saw, dust collector and drill press after passing a safety and setup test.

As my one daughter got older she progressed to passing the bandsaw test, then the jointer/planer and finally the saw/shaper.

Michelle still comes over to use the shop now and then, something that amazes her friends. I guess they thought shapers had a chromosone sensor in them..........Regards, Rod.

Just unplug everything when you leave and they can only be in there with you. If you have a door to lock keep it locked.
    Don