Thread: DC venting inside/outside

DC venting inside/outside

Does anyone vent their DC outside in the summer and inside in the winter. I am getting ready to set up my system. I have a Jet 1900 (4 bag) and the eBay cyclone. I have purchased the Wynn filters for venting inside. I don't see any way where I could change during the summer to vent outside. Are there ways to do this?

Build a room around it with two windows. Open the one to the inside in winter and the one to the outside in summer.

It would be the pipe between the cyclone and the filters. If you put a Y in with a gate going to the filters, and also a gate on the other side of the Y, you could close one gate and open the other for venting outside, or venting to the filter. You would run the pipe through the outside wall with a weather proof damper on the outside, like a dryer vent only bigger.

Add a wye AFTER the cyclone, with two blast gates on the end. One blast gate in front of the filters, another in front of a section of pipe that exhausts outside. Reversing the blast gates allows you to select either the filter stack or the outside exhaust.

I did not provide good information in my original post. I am basically at ground zero, I have nothing yet. I should have posted how to set up cyclone. Below are the pictures of my starting point. I was initally going to try and set up the system using the DC as is with the cyclone before it. I am now thinking I need to remove the impeller and mount it above the cyclone. I would then need to cut holes in the top of the filters ( I have two filters only one in picture ) so I can stack them with inlet at the top and outlet at bottom of filters. Similar to the way I have seen cyclone systems. I would also need to have a clean out box on the filter outlet or see if I can take one of the original DC sides and modify it to put a plastic bag below. I don't know which would be better or it doesn't make a difference. Then I could install a wye between the filters and cyclone system. One of my challenges is the DC outlet is a 5X7 rectangle. I think I would need to convert that to a 7" round. Don't know if there are stock rectangular to round fittings or would need to fabricate. I also need to build support for the cyclone and a way to empty the drum below. I don't have any good ideas on this yet. Hopefully this makes more sense. Does this approach seem reasonable or is there an easier way to set this up. Suggestions?

Edit: I looked back on previous post about the eBay cyclone, but almost all the pictures have been removed.

image.jpgimage.jpg
    Last edited by William C Rogers; 11-25-2014 at 8:13 AM.

No reason you can not just pipe from the blower to the cyclone body. Would be just like a dust deputy, only bigger. Is there any place on the cyclone body where you can fasten to? Would be nice to make a bracket so you could fasten it to the wall, and use a plastic hose to attach the bottom to the drum, for easy emptying of the drum. As to hooking the filters up, use round pipe to connect the top outlet of the cyclone to your filters. Mine has 8" elbows and pipe, I hung a piece of ply with a hole in it to hang my filters from, used the large filter from Wynn, it has a square flat metal top, with bolt holes and a gasket built in. I just drilled 2 holes in the ply for the bolts, and bolted the filter to the ply. The ply is hung like a shelf on the wall, 8" hole for the filter and screws with caulk to attach the elbow to the ply. I hung a plastic bag under the filter to block it off, and catch any dust that falls through. If I was good with pictures, would attach one, alas I am not. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Jim Andrew; 11-25-2014 at 9:09 AM.

Seeing as twists and turns in your ductwork are the enemy (due to losses), I'd suggest doing exactly as you suggest where you mount the blower above the cyclone and basically install this unit as you see many commercial cyclones installed. Eliminate as much flex and bends as you can.