Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Veritas large Plow Plane?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    At times my #45 gets used for rabbets, especially when a stopped rabbet is wanted. Otherwise my Record #778 (Stanley #78 equivalent) gets the job.

jtk
    Because of the recent release of Veritas Combination Plane (modeled after Stanley #45) I was reading relative discussions and this caught my eye.

Jim, can you explain how you make stopped rabbet with #45, if that still makes sense?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey Kharitonkin View Post
    Because of the recent release of Veritas Combination Plane (modeled after Stanley #45) I was reading relative discussions and this caught my eye.

Jim, can you explain how you make stopped rabbet with #45, if that still makes sense?
    Andrey, it is a little bit of an awkward way to do things but it can be done and likely the Veritas Combination Plane can do the same thing especially since it has adjustable depth stops on both sides of the blade.

Here is the post where I mentioned it and went a little into the details:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...h-a-Plow-Plane

With a similar technique one can also make stopped flutes, beads and other cuts.

One point to keep an eye on is the blade has a tendency to move laterally if it isn't held tight enough. Having the blade clamp set too tight is likely to cause other problems.

I still have my write up and images that were submitted to PW, but the editor at the time felt it wasn't of interest.

Maybe I should post it here in a new thread.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)