Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veritas large Plow Plane?

Veritas large Plow Plane?

Has anyone heard anything about this? There has been some posts from a few years ago talking about a new Large Plow Plane coming out in 2011 or 2012, but I never heard anything more about it. Does anyone know if they are still working on it or not? Any ideas as to when it might be out, if they are still working on it?

Thanks,

You'll need to wait for Rob to chime in to tell you for sure, and even IF there is one he may or may not disclose it. BUT my impression was that they scrapped it or at least put it off when they made the decision to make the expansion to the small plow. They come up with a lot of tools that never actually make it to market.

I have no real idea what the current status of that project is or if they are planning on making one in the future or not but I can say that I haven't heard talk of one in quite some time and that includes when I visited the factory this past summer, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Again I could be way off, but its not something I've heard mention of in a long time. If Rob sees this thread he'll probably respond with some clarification.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 11-22-2014 at 10:25 AM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Chris, I believe you are correct about scrapping it for the Small Plow Expansion kit, at least that is what I recall from some correspondence with Rob Lee.
    Maurice

I am not sure why one would need specifically a larger plow plane than what is already in production? The existing one does every job I could imagine a plow plane would ever be needed for, and then some more. Even looking at old, vintage versions, it isn't like they are that large other than maybe being thicker in the body being made of wood etc...

Is it simply a feel in hand type reason that people are requesting a larger variety?

Quote Originally Posted by bob blakeborough View Post
    I am not sure why one would need specifically a larger plow plane than what is already in production? The existing one does every job I could imagine a plow plane would ever be needed for, and then some more. Even looking at old, vintage versions, it isn't like they are that large other than maybe being thicker in the body being made of wood etc...

Is it simply a feel in hand type reason that people are requesting a larger variety?
    It's not that I'm looking for something "larger" in regards to size. From what I was reading the large plow plane was being designed to do more. For example, hold profiled blades which could be used for moldings. That would make the plane useful for more purposes. This is a very specialized tool so the more applications it can be used for the easier it is to justify buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Reilly View Post
    It's not that I'm looking for something "larger" in regards to size. From what I was reading the large plow plane was being designed to do more. For example, hold profiled blades which could be used for moldings. That would make the plane useful for more purposes. This is a very specialized tool so the more applications it can be used for the easier it is to justify buying one.
    That WOULD be interesting. (Pun intended, Mr. Griggs!) Wouldnt it be neat if we could buy molding profiles that somehow fit the small plow or maybe the skew rabbet? I have no clue whether one of those tools could be adapted to such a job, but its something to dream about. Ah well!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

[QUOTE=Chris Griggs;2337524] BUT my impression was that they scrapped it or at least put it off when they made the decision to make the expansion to the small plow.

What is the "expansion"? I have the small plow plane, but Never heard of any "expansion". Would this be the wide blade conversion kit?

[QUOTE=David Dalzell;2337619]
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    BUT my impression was that they scrapped it or at least put it off when they made the decision to make the expansion to the small plow.

What is the "expansion"? I have the small plow plane, but Never heard of any "expansion". Would this be the wide blade conversion kit?
    Yup, that's the conversion kit.
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by David Dalzell View Post
    Would this be the wide blade conversion kit?
    Yes. That's what I'm referring to.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Reilly View Post
    Has anyone heard anything about this? There has been some posts from a few years ago talking about a new Large Plow Plane coming out in 2011 or 2012, but I never heard anything more about it. Does anyone know if they are still working on it or not? Any ideas as to when it might be out, if they are still working on it?

Thanks,
    This thread finally piqued my curiosity enough to take another look at the Veritas Small Plow Plane.

For that kind of money one could likely purchase a Stanley #45 with a set of blades but could also pick up a Stanley #50 & blades to complement it for smaller work.

At the price of the complete set one could likely even throw in a Stanley #46 if you want a skewed blade plane.

I can understand the appeal of a brand new tool, but I also like to be able to afford such things.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi Jim

I have a useful "library" of planes (not even close to the Lee Valley library. Nothing else is even in the running - It is amazing. Ask Chris G).

Among the planes is a Stanley #45 and a Stanley #46, all with a full compliment of blades, all carefully tuned and sharpened. The #45 is only good for grooves, and it feels chunky compared to the Veritas Small Plow (plough!). I would not use the #45 for anything else, especially beading - it really sucks! The #46 is an excellent plane for cross grain work. I would not recommend the Veritas for that. On the other hand, a knife, a saw and chisel, and the Veritas Router plane is more reliable.

The Small Plow is one of those planes that is worth every penny. It is taut and precise. I reach for it every time (did I tell you about the other ploughs I have and could use ... ).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Derek,

I am sure the Veritas Small Plow Plane is an excellent improvement over anything offered a century ago. The Stanley #45 can be a bear to get working well. Its learning curve can be a tough, steep hill to climb. There are a few ways one can make some of the old planes less awkward feeling in use. One is to make a 'handle' to mount on the rods. This sort of mimics the side handle on the #55 and makes it easier to work with the plane.

Plow & Rabbet Side Handles.jpg

The knob on the #778 doesn't work as well as the piece on the #50. The extra hole on that piece is so it will fit on a #45.

Another thing I like about the Stanley #45 is it can be used left handed when that makes sense.

#45 Lefty.jpg

Extending the rods through the body also makes the plane easier to control when trying to hold the fence against the work.

Notice the bead, it was made using one of my #45s. My luck must be better than yours using the beading blades. As with so many things it has a lot to do with the wood one is working. The grain is running toward the side and the side grain is running up. Being pine this works well. If the grain is running the other way with pine it will make a chipped out mess.

Depending on the size of the groove I will use my #50 for small and the #45 for large.

At times my #45 gets used for rabbets, especially when a stopped rabbet is wanted. Otherwise my Record #778 (Stanley #78 equivalent) gets the job.

For me a large part of the equation is the cost. For me woodworking is mostly a hobby and a little bit for selling things. It isn't in my budget to buy many new tools. Even old tools can be a stretch at times.

Modern tools often have a better fit & finish including more refined features. This can make them a pleasure to use. As to the old tools, our forefathers somehow figured a way to make them work. Somehow they seem to work for me with only a few set backs on the road to discovery.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 11-23-2014 at 6:58 PM. Reason: Attach image later
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    Plow (plough!)
    It took me a long time to learn to spell through, darned if I am going to start spelling it thru.

What ever happened to doughnuts? Did too many people drop the u & h to make folks giggle?

I started a career as a draughtsman then it seemed like a slight to become a drafter.

Who is it that waits for a generation to get through school before changing all the spelling on us unsuspecting folks?

jtk

Hi Jim

I do use the Stanley #45 when the conditions are right - when the moon is aligned with Sagittarius, and the wind is coming from the North East .... and the wood grain is consistently and absolutely straight.
    It does not like any reversing grain as there is no support for the blade. I was building face frames for an armoire ...

The key to successful planing with the #45 is to choose your boards carefully, and to use a very sharp blade.

As a beader, the #45 is just unreliable.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Derek,

I have added an image with side handles to my post above.

I have not produced real good work when using the knob as a handle on the #45. It seems to put a bit of leverage on the front of the plane causing the plane to kick out of the cut and mess things up. Of course everyone has varying millage or in international cases it may be kilometerage.

In my opinion the fence grip on the Veritas Small Plow Plane is a great improvement over the grip on the #45 and other planes of that style. The grip on the #55 is what gave me the inspiration to try something different.

jtk