Thread: Bandsaw sizing help

Bandsaw sizing help

I'm currently looking at getting a new larger bandsaw. I recently came across and purchased about 20,000 bf of exotic hardwoods, mostly in block form (a large quantity 4x12 up to 12x20). I know the proper tool for resawing all of this would be a woodmizer, but the cost to resaw it all would be similar to me getting a new bandsaw if I do it myself. Also if I resaw it, I can do it as I need the wood at the right sizes for a particular project. I started looking at the Grizzly 17" 2 hp with a 12" resaw capacity in the $800-900 range. I can deal with the 12" max height, but my question is if the power is sufficient. I've seen several comments that 2hp is fine for resawing 12" of what seems to be mostly domestic woods, but how does hardness and density affect this? The majority of the wood that I would be resawing have a Janka rating between 2400 and 3400. I know bigger is always better, but I would prefer not to overkill the purchase if I don't need to. On the other hand, I don't want to kill an underpowered saw. Does it make sense to step up to a larger saw with a 3hp or even 5hp motor and get an increased resaw capacity. As a side note, resawing will be the primary use for this saw (generally cuts 4/4 to 12/4, never veneer cuts).

I would recommend stepping up to at least a 3hp as some of those exotic hardwoods are just that... very hard.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Unless you want to make yourself crazy with 20,000 bs ft of anything, look for more power and a saw that will tension a carbide blade. You won't find one in the 900 price range, even used. A used older Centauro, ACM, or minimax or new MM16 is what you want. Buy a saw that will outlast the wood. Dave

As David said, you'll need a carbide blade on an industrial bandsaw.

Try to find a used industrial saw, David has given some good suggestions.

You'll be wasting your time, money and wood on anything else............Rod.

If you have 20 thousand BF of any kind of decent wood, you could buy a fine bandsaw like David suggested and pay someone to resaw it into more manageable sizes on a Woodmizer type mill if you were willing to sell some of it to cover those costs. You would drive yourself crazy trying to resaw something as big as 12/20 on any bandsaw. A log like that would crush a set of Grizzly trunnions.

Dan

I have a MP 32 bandmill I use to saw my own lumber. Also have a MM16, and it works well for resawing. Much cheaper to buy the MM16. If you have never seen one up close, you should put up a post to find the closest one on the forum. My MM16 has heavier wheels than my bandmill.

It's going to be hard to beat an MM16 with a carbide blade. Something like a Resaw King on an MM16 can give you a finish that could almost pass for straight out of the planer. Heck, it does that on my Grizzly G0514X2, but that saw is simply not up to the task. Personally, I'd buy the MM16 new if I could. I think their newer saws are nicer than a lot of the used MM16s on the market.