Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some Help Selecting Mortiser

I have the Powermatic and it is a good machine. I echo the sharp chisels voices out there. When I first tried mine, I was disappointed, but it was not the machine.

I have the general. Really like it. Had the low end steel city, gave it to a friend.
    Paul

I'm also with Glen and Lowell. I bought a Jet when I first started out and it works well but I just dont use it. I mainly use floating tenons with a router or use dominos. Maybe it would be worth it if I build a lot of Arts and Craft style furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I'm with Glen. I use Mortise Pal if making a machine mortise.

I also chop a lot of mortises with chisels.
    I learned to chop mortises from Paul Sellers.
    You can chop with less fuss using bevel edge chisels as well as mortise chisels.

Having said that, I'm not adverse to mortise machines, just don't need one.

First of all...
    Thanks to all of you that posted comments and recommendations.

I figured on buying a sharpening cone, and I already have a set of the small diamond hones. I didn't think they would be as bad as many of you have said though.

I never saw the Mortise Pal before. I did try out the General EZ Pro mortise & tenon jig, and absolutely hated it. The MP looks like it would be much simpler to set up (KISS) and use.

I also had never before seen the Rikon Dual Axis Mortiser. I have to say, next to an expensive free standing mortiser, it appears to have the best table of any of the models I've been looking at. Even the Powermatic.

I can get the Rikon for: $350
    Powermatiuc: $490
    Wood River: $290
    Shop Fox: $370
    Mortise Pal: $214

I'm actually no longer considering the Wood River model but I put it on the list for comparison anyway.

My situation is probably different that you guys. I am disabled and in a wheelchair. If I have just a few Mortises to do, I would typically chop them. However, I wear out quickly. That is really the only reason that I'm considering a machine. Now, I also am considering the Mortise Pal.

Whichever one, I have to decide quickly, I have several projects coming up where I could use them.

Any last words???
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    First of all...
    Thanks to all of you that posted comments and recommendations.

Any last words???
    Yes, is there a reason the General International isn't under consideration?

Regards, Rod.

A few points. I, too, am disabled, but not in a wheelchair. I do tire easily. I think you need to consider whether the mortise pall will be harder to use. Pulling a handle on a mortiser is much easier than using a router to make a mortise, and you will be able to make a lot more mortises before tiring. Set up is much easier, too. Clamp in mortiser, mortise.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I've owned the General International one for over 12 years.

It always wound up in the top area in magazine tests.

Mine has made over a thousand mortices, still works like new...................Rod.
    Which model?
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I too am in the market for a mortiser. The Mortise Pal looks interesting but one drawback is that it wouldn't work for rectangular through tenon joinery without manually squarring off the slot ends.(unless I'm missing something).
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    Which model?
    Hi Scott, the 75-050 non tilting model...........Regards, Rod.

P.S. My brother has the newer 75-050T which is the tilting one. Same machine, his just tilts for angled mortices, I have to use a wedge.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    I too am in the market for a mortiser. The Mortise Pal looks interesting but one drawback is that it wouldn't work for rectangular through tenon joinery without manually squarring off the slot ends.(unless I'm missing something).
    The rounded ends of the mortise from the use of a router bit are easy enough to square off. I think for a through mortise, I would knife the desired opening on both sides so that you have something to reference from.

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Yes, is there a reason the General International isn't under consideration?

Regards, Rod.
    Thanks for catching my omission Rod. I intended to include it.

So, here goes the revised list

Rikon: $350
    Powermatiuc: $490
    Wood River: $290
    Shop Fox: $370
    General International: $439
    Mortise Pal: $214

Stew Hagerty

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    A few points. I, too, am disabled, but not in a wheelchair. I do tire easily. I think you need to consider whether the mortise pall will be harder to use. Pulling a handle on a mortiser is much easier than using a router to make a mortise, and you will be able to make a lot more mortises before tiring. Set up is much easier, too. Clamp in mortiser, mortise.
    I think Paul is on target here. Although I imagine you have your workbench and vises at a comfortable working height, taking a little time to get the material into the mortising machine and then just pulling the handle would be easier than the repeated plunging action of the Mortise Pal. As to the chisel quality of those that "come with" a machine . . . none of the reviews I read when researching had one single set of supplied chisels that they could use successfully without removing rough edges, resharpening and honing. Essentially they did everything a maker of quality chisels does before they send them to market ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-03-2014 at 4:55 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

What do you guys think of the G I 75-040 model?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    What do you guys think of the G I 75-040 model?
    Jim, a mortiser needs a vice to hold the work, the 75-040 doesn't have a vice, it's the pared down version of 75-050.

I would never buy a mortiser without a vice.........Rod.

I am out in my workshop. The one that i just completed rearranged for more efficient use of space while giving me and my wheelchair significantly more maneuvering room. As I look around, I am trying to figure out exactly where I would park one of these things. I don't have the strength to lift a hundred plus pound mortiser into one of my benches. That means I need a permanent parking space for it. The only place I can think of off the top of my head is on a short stand under my floor model drill press. I've wanted one of these for a long time, but now that I've remodeled the location I had in mind for one is no longer there.

Well, I guess ive answered my own question. And now I feel really stupid for starting this thread. Although, I do like the look of that Mortise Pal. And I was unaware of it prior to this thread so I guess it wasn't a total waste.

It's a shame that Dominoes are so darn expensive. I wonder how many years before their Patent expires?

Stew Hagerty