Thread: Just an Observation

Just an Observation

I posted this on my blog but no one reads my blog so I thought I'd crosspost :-).

This is just an observation and I've wondered if others have noticed the same.

I have Japanese chisels in both #1 and #2 White Steel either takes an incredible edge straight off the stone and the edge will hold up very well. I also have some newer western chisels with Chrome Steel, straight off the stones the edge is good but it will also fracture and dull very quickly. If I strop on some leather charged with compound the edge feels the about the same as before stropping but is much slower to fracture and dull.

I expect there is some slight "dubbing" from the stropping that makes the edge less prone to fracture. With the Japanese chisels I suspect they may have a finer grained steel and are not as prone to fracture.

Whatever, just an observation.

A smoother edge gives less places for a fracture to start. Edges are microscopic mountain chains. Smooth them down,and you have less opportunities for a fracture to find a valley to start cracking in.

Indeed, the structure of the steel makes a huge difference. Stropping the chrome vandy reduces the micro ridges, as George noted.
    Maurice

Thanks guys,

That was kinda the point, different iron, different sharpening needs. I was also a little surprised, and maybe I shouldn't be, at how much courser the Chrome/Carbon steel is than the Japanese White steel. Bottom line they both have a place in my shop and both work well just differently.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Thanks guys,

That was kinda the point, different iron, different sharpening needs. I was also a little surprised, and maybe I shouldn't be, at how much courser the Chrome/Carbon steel is than the Japanese White steel. Bottom line they both have a place in my shop and both work well just differently.

ken
    Yup, Ken....I've got my nice set, and a my first set of Marples Blue Chips. Like having both.
    Maurice

You're wrong Ken, I read both posts. My question that I didn't ask is why even bother with the stanleys?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Boumenot View Post
    You're wrong Ken, I read both posts. My question that I didn't ask is why even bother with the stanleys?
    Ralph,

As always, you make me laugh.

What can I say about the Stanley's other than if you ignore the iron they are pretty good chisels :-). They are relativity small, light, with good balance, and for the most part indestructible (other than the iron). I use them for chopping with frequent trips to the sharpening bench because I can whack away at the hornbeam handles with no consequences. I can't say that about either the Ashley Iles or the LV ones.

ken