Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly T26417 Benchtop Spindle Sander vs Ridgid

Grizzly T26417 Benchtop Spindle Sander vs Ridgid

Grizzly has a new Benchtop Spindle Sander - T26417. It is on sale for X-mas at $260.

I have a small shop and I don't think I can justify a floor spindle sander. Probably will not use it that much and benchtop I could store under my table saw extension.

I was thinking of asking Santa for a Ridgid OSS since for $200 you cannot seem to go wrong. However, I came across the new Grizzly and wonder if it may be a little more "heavy" duty - 78lbs shipped (some of that is package but still more than the Ridgid), spindles are 3/4" x 3-1/2", 1" x 4?-1/2", and 2" x 5-1/2", 15" tilting table. https://www.grizzly.com/products/Ben...-Sander/T26417

I see the Ridgid gets really good feedback. Just wondering if the Grizzly is more of a "lifetime" tool - looks to be all metal vs the plastic on the Ridgid. Of course with shipping it will run me about $300 which is 50% more than the Ridgid and I don't have the belt sander.

Any thoughts on this unit vs the Ridgid?

I have the Ridgid, and I would buy it again. Great tool for the money, and the belt feature is a real plus.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    I have the Ridgid, and I would buy it again. Great tool for the money, and the belt feature is a real plus.
    Bill
    I agree, and if I need the worktable surface for another tool I just put it away on the shelf.

I guess with the T26417 you are getting one sander, a spindle sander, with the Ridgid you are getting 2 sanders, the spindle and a belt.

I have the Ridgid and really love the thing, I use it all the time and it has served me very well.

Will it out last the Grizzly I am not sure but it sure will do a lot more then the Grizzly.

The Ridgid has a tilting table, that is you can title the front down to 45° if needed. The table is large and gives you a lot of work area, it also has a miter slot in it which I have used now and then.

+1 to all comments. I am a hobbyist and it suits my needs perfectly and it has pretty good dust collection to boot. I use the oscillating belt as well as the oscillating spindle equally. Nice to have two tools on one footprint. Ridgid also has a "lifetime" warranty (I never used it so I can't comment)

Does the Ridgid have an induction or universal motor? I am assuming it is universal at that price?

Induction.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Induction that is a surprise. Sounds like the Ridgid is the way to go.

Blog Entries
    The Grizzly you show is a cool looking little unit. The big plus would be the table tilt if that is something you would use a lot. The table size would be very limiting IMHO. I have owned the Ridgid and it is surprisingly versatile. I eventually moved to a larger edge sander and a disc spindle combo but, I used the tilting table feature on the Ridgid whereas I have yet to do so on my current spindle sander. I do tilt the larger edge sander so, maybe the tilting feature is more for edge sanding than spindle work in my world. Either way, I can recommend the Ridgid as a more versatile tool than just a spindle sander. It only weighs about 40 lbs so moving it to and from a shelf as needed is very workable; unlike some other "bench top" tools.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

There was just an article in fine woodworking rating these machines. The ridgid came out on top. I have neither, so I can't contribute much.
    jonathan

I also have the Ridgid and I think it's one of the most useful tools I own. I love the little thing and use it all the time. I also like the fact that you are basically getting the oscillating belt sander for free.
    Earl

I just got the WoodRiver for like $140. Not super heavy duty, but it does the job. I think HF has the same unit for about the same price.

That said, the Rigid is a great unit if you need a belt sander also, though the dust collection is terrible and it is underpowered as a belt. Also, changeover is a nuisance, but it does work well. I got rid of mine and bought the WoodRiver and a Grizz edge sander.

I bought 2 Ridgid units for my home shop due to the nearly universal acclaim, and returned them both due to excessive vibration. Did I get two lemons in a row, or am I just spoiled by normally working with better grade machinery? (We have a cheap Grizzly OSS at work which is no gem, but is far smoother running than the Ridgid units I tried.)

It's kind of funny but this discussion really highlights my continued shop dysfunction when it comes to sanding. Looking at the various machines mentioned here,

the Ridgid Oscillating Edge Belt / Spindle Sander looks cheap and flimsy yet it has almost universal acclaim. Weighs 40 lbs.
    On paper the grizzly T26417 looks like a very solid performer - 1/2 HP, cast iron plate, shipping weight 78 lbs.
    There is another griz - G0723 with less power but larger cast iron plate and more spindle sizes. shipping weight 56 lbs
    The Woodriver Benchtop Spindle Sander looks to have about the same power as the T26417 but is quite a bit lighter at 34 lbs.

Probably the most vexing issue for me is dust collection and none of them look to be a step up. The 2 griz's have "2 inch ports", WR has a 1 1/2" port and I've seen several reports that it has poor DC.

I am not sure - but I think I will be +9 or 10 for the Ridgid. I own it and love it.
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!