Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Type of wood??

Type of wood??

I am wondering what type of wood this is. A little history on where it came from: I bought it in mid Michigan. It was all rough sawn in a barn sticker stacked for 30+ years. This wood is a lot softer and lighter compared to oak. It machines well and can be easily worked with hand tools. I believe it might be butternut (white walnut), but I have only been woodworking as a hobby for about 2 years and do not know much about identifying the different types of lumber. The sapwood is very light colored and there is not much on it at all.

Thanks - Nate

end grain 1.jpg End grain 2.jpgEnd grain 3.jpg

Grain 3.jpggrain 1.jpggrain 2.jpg

The end grain pores and light weight remind me of Chestnut, but stock I have come across in Southern Ohio tends to be more amber in color.

Chestnut was my other thought, the camera and lighting hides the light amber tone.

It's hard to say with photos but it looks like Cherry to me.

Cheers,

Neil

"What do you mean my birth certificate's expired?!"

Butternut sounds like a great guess. It's lightweight. The color and grain are right . . .

Neil,

I have some cherry and I don't think it's cherry, however, I am going to throw a planed board in the sun and see what it does. It does have similar grain patern to cherry in areas, but its much softer. I'll try to get more pictures up of different boards.

-Nate

When you cut it, does it smell like Root Beer soda?

I think you are correct about the butternut.

I think Jim is thinking of sassafras. It does look like it. I have used quite a bit of it.

My guess is Butternut...sometimes called "white walnut" as they are related. Very similar grain pattern, but lighter in color and a little softer. Really nice stuff. The house I lived in when I was a young child featured butternut woodwork throughout and it was gorgeous.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sassafras is a possibility. I have not noticed a distinct smell, however, I use black walnut a lot and my nose is drawn to that smell in the shop. I'll post a couple more photos tonight. Thanks again for the thoughts. Any particular photos I should take to help identify? More end grain? Sap wood? Edge grain?

-Nate

Sassafras and butternnut look similar, but only butternut is soft and light. Sassafras is more like oak in those chararteristics.

do you live around mid michigan? I live in midland.

Wade,
    It's light and soft compared to oak, I'm thinking butternut it is.

Cody, I'm from the Lansing area.

-Nate

Another possibility is Mulberry. I recently made a cabinet from Mulberry harvested in Northwestern CT and when I saw your sample that was my first thought from color, face and end grain. Probably White mulberry. It was easy wood to work with and finish.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/person...s/mulberry.htm