Thread: Benchdog router table

Benchdog router table

I have a table top Benchdog router table with a Sears 11/4 hp router installed. I am looking to upgrade from the Sears router. I've done some research and Porter Cable or Bosh routers have the most compatibility with aftermarket accessories. Anybody have a favorite router for tabletop routing?

You will get a tons of answers on this, I really don't thing there is a BEST one, everyone has thoughts on all of them.

For me, I have a Bosch 1617 EVS and used in in my router table for a long time and it really did great. I cut raised panels with it and never had a problem. I thought I needed a bigger router and got the PC 7518, good router but I really have not seen the advantage of the 3 1/4 over the 2 1/4 for the things I do.

Like Bill said, most any of them will get the job done, a lot of it is personal preference. I don’t have any complaints with the PC-7518 in my Bench Dog.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    You will get a tons of answers on this, I really don't thing there is a BEST one, everyone has thoughts on all of them.

For me, I have a Bosch 1617 EVS and used in in my router table for a long time and it really did great. I cut raised panels with it and never had a problem. I thought I needed a bigger router and got the PC 7518, good router but I really have not seen the advantage of the 3 1/4 over the 2 1/4 for the things I do.
    I agree, 2 hp should be plenty for what I do at home. I do have an old Ryobi RE 600, 3 hp but I think it is too heavy for the table and there are no accessories on the market for it.

I stuck with PC for all my routers (one in the table - a 7529 I put a Router Raizer in, a 690LR (with 6902 motor) dedicated to the Leight FMT, and another 690LR for all other router work). I forget what the supposed horsepowers are on them, but I haven't noticed any problems in the power department.

I did this purposely as PCs are very common, and I have no fear of not being able to get parts (rotor brushes being the only part I've ever replaced on any of them), and I can exchange collets and use the same template bushings on all of them.

There may be better routers out there (I've had the 7529 and one of the 690s for at LEAST 14 years, both getting daily light industrial type use) - but if/when one of these dies I will replace it with another PC - for the reasons stated above. The thought of having to re-build all my jigs and fixtures to accommodate a different base or template bushings makes me shudder.

That said - there are other ubiquitous and reliable brands, and I wouldn't necessarily recommend any particular brand over another. I would, however, counsel making sure that whatever brand you choose is a common one, for the reasons stated above.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

I have several of both PC and Bosch routers. I prefer Bosch.

I use the BenchDog cast iron router table top with their lift...and there is a heavy PC7518 in that lift. It's a great combination!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm seeing a lot of negative comments on Amazon about the newer Porter Cable routers. I can disregard the folks that destroyed their router from ignorance, but not the comments about stuff just breaking off. However I'm still leaning towards a 2 1/2 hp Porter Cable, am I crazy?

Porter Cable quality is not what it once was. All of my PC tools are older and American made. I would think twice about buying anything PC today. 7518's come up on CL often, you might be better off going that route.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have a Bosch 1617 with a Jessem lift and a Triton. The Triton in a cast iron Bench Dog table is my go-to setup.

Milwaukee routers have above table adjustments.
    Once you get spoiled by that feature, you really hate to give it up.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I bought just the PC 7518 motor to put in my Woodpeckers router lift. It's been a nice router, the only thing I've changed up is the collets which I grabbed a set of Precision Collets from Precise Bits...

Quote Originally Posted by DOUG ANGEL View Post
    I do have an old Ryobi RE 600, 3 hp but I think it is too heavy for the table and there are no accessories on the market for it.
    Don't discount the RE600. I've had one since the late 80's that I use exclusively mounted in a router table. It hangs from a 3/8" thick polycarbonate plate in my router table's top. It is heavy, but flexing hasn't been an issue (the polycarbonate is ~9" x 12").

If there were a way to check that PC 7518's were still the quality of old, that would be my choice, as mine in my Bench Dog top has served well for years. But I've heard the rumblings too. Milwaukee is making some great stuff of late. Only time will tell though.
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

Finally ended up with DeWalt 618 and a Jessem router lifter for my Bench dog table. Happy so far, but will probably have to build my own table.