Thread: Pallet Wood Cubby Wall Shelf...

Pallet Wood Cubby Wall Shelf...

I posted about help with is project, both build and finish, so for those interested, here it is. It's not perfect?but that's kinda the point.
    Also, there was discussion about the finish, so I included a shot of what the wood looked like before and after. If anyone can ID the species, please let me know. Thanks to all for the help! Sorry if images are not oriented properly. I don't know how to rotate them from here.
    image.jpgimage.jpg

Good job on the project. Wood looks like it might be ponderosa pine...the stuff the BORG calls "white wood".
    My 2 cents worth.
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

Could be pine, but the paleness leads me to think spruce

Very nice Derek. That looks like something out of a Pottery Barn catalog. What method of construction did you use? I remember your method of construction thread.

For those who don't want to tilt your head:
    image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Wakahisa Shinta View Post
    Very nice Derek. That looks like something out of a Pottery Barn catalog. What method of construction did you use? I remember your method of construction thread.

For those who don't want to tilt your head:
    image.jpg
    That's right! Pottery Barn. My daughter saw it and told my wife that she liked it.
    Here's what I did...the main frame is dadoed on the side pieces for the shelves. The dados are blind and the shelves are slightly recessed from the front edge. The dividers are obviously dadoed and the bottom dados are blind and recessed to the bottom edge of the frame.
    I really thought that using pallet wood for this project, with all the dados, would cause major fit issues, but as it turned out, the dados really helped to keep the warped boards in toe and it all squared up well once the back boards were installed.
    I'll do a separated thread concerning pic orientation. Thanks for the help!

Looks cool. This seems to be catching on using pallets. However, please please be careful. They could be chemical treated and that's some nasty crap! Look for HT on them to indicate heat treated. That may not be enough though. Our company demands only HT, but some vendors have found removing the HT boards and putting them on chemically treated pallets. PLEASE use proper PPE when sanding/cutting!

Thanks and thanks for the warning. Didn't know that.

Derek -

Re: Species.

Where are you located? That would - maybe - help dial in the species. Looks like, what - 1 x 8 boards? That is a bit unusual in itself.

It looks to be some kind of SPF - the species umbrella that is called Spruce-Pine-Fir.

Turned out nice. Nicely, Nicely [if you are a fan of Guys and Dolls ]

Keith - in general, it is unlikely to find treated lumber in pallets - adds too much $$ to what is a seriously low-margin product. It can certainly happen, of course - people have some scrap they need to use for something, rather than throw it away. But intentionally pressure-treating wood before building the pallets is not something I have come across, other than for unusual applications.

On the HT thing - not all pallets require the HT stamp. It depends on what the customer specifies, based on the intended use / applicaiton [any export must have the HT stamp - eliminates the potential for bugs, critters, nasties, etc.]. Certainly becoming much more prevalent - almost the default standard, so the product can be used for any applicaiton. But - not a given, and has nothing to do with the quality of the product.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Derek -

Re: Species.

Where are you located? That would - maybe - help dial in the species. Looks like, what - 1 x 8 boards? That is a bit unusual in itself.

It looks to be some kind of SPF - the species umbrella that is called Spruce-Pine-Fir.

Turned out nice. Nicely, Nicely [if you are a fan of Guys and Dolls ]

Keith - in general, it is unlikely to find treated lumber in pallets - adds too much $$ to what is a seriously low-margin product. It can certainly happen, of course - people have some scrap they need to use for something, rather than throw it away. But intentionally pressure-treating wood before building the pallets is not something I have come across, other than for unusual applications.

On the HT thing - not all pallets require the HT stamp. It depends on what the customer specifies, based on the intended use / applicaiton [any export must have the HT stamp - eliminates the potential for bugs, critters, nasties, etc.]. Certainly becoming much more prevalent - almost the default standard, so the product can be used for any applicaiton. But - not a given, and has nothing to do with the quality of the product.
    Thanks Kent. I'm in the Sacramento? CA area. I'd like to know so that I'll know what species turns what color, with what vinegar/steel wool mixture.

Nice work. Your turned junk wood into a very nice cubby unit. I'm sure your daughter appreciates it; score major points for Dad!

Very nice work, Derek!

I made a similar construction years ago and it was a pain in the you-know-what to get everything "in-sync". You did a great job!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the words of encouragement. It's always nice to hear it doesn't suck. I think woodworking is kind of a solitary endeavor, so woodworking forums like this one provide comerodery that I wouldn't otherwise be experiencing. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    It's always nice to hear it doesn't suck.

Far from it! That's a GREAT project result!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...