Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repair for a knob?

Question Repair for a knob?

Have a cheapy hand brace. Chuck itself is in excellent shape. The ring-like thingy that holds the knob onto the end of the brace is cracked, and falling apart
    IMAG0062.jpg
    Yeah, not good. Seems to be a "pot metal" sort of thing. The rest of the brace
    IMAG0059.jpg
    Isn't all THAT bad. The chuck is in fine shape
    IMAG0060.jpg
    Ratchet works great. All the parts are there.

So, need to repair or replace the knob. JB Weld the pot metal back together? How does one remove a knob from a brace like this?

Well. The knob IS wood. The metal holder is junk pot metal. The rest of the plane is quite good. Used it to drill a few 1" holes awhile back. The only problems was the connection of the knob. Any ideas on how to repair this knob connection?

Sweep is 8". Marked "Japan" on the arm. Looks like a Samson style chuck.

Blog Entries
    An attempt at fixing it with JB Weld would be my choice.

Otherwise it might be more work to bring it back than it is worth.

There are more than a few items in my shop that are just not worth the effort to put them back to work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have exactly $1 invested in this brace. Garage Sale find. The knob came apart doing those large holes, mainly because the operator was bearing down a bit more than he should have.

Happen to have an old router plate thingy. It was supposed to be a bushing for ....something. Looks like it might be enough to capture the bad parts into the knob, and add three small screws to hold it in place. Need to find out HOW to remove the knob...first. Then add the extra parts. Might strip that red finish off to see what type of wood is under it, too. No real rush, I guess, as i have four other braces to use. One being a 12, a couple 10" and a 8" Stanley Victor.

This brace, IF it can be repaired, would be a "travel" one, like when I am out and out, doing Honey-dos for the kids. Keeping the "good" ones for the shop. BTW: one 10" is a Millers Falls, with a BIG chuck....

Blog Entries
    This brace, IF it can be repaired, would be a "travel" one, like when I am out and out, doing Honey-dos for the kids. Keeping the "good" ones for the shop.
    I do much the same. I have learned to use reliable tools for the "out and about" kit. Took a plane out to do a quick job in the greenhouse. Of course it fell apart twice before I decided it would be quicker to just walk back to the shop for something more reliable.

One of my uses for a junker plane that might also be good for a junker brace is at the wood stove. When some shavings are needed to rekindle the embers back into a fire it is fast work to make some. Most of the time there is a box of plane shavings in the house, but when it goes empty it is almost always late at night when I don't feel like walking out to the shop.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

H'mm, wood burning stove, under used plane. What an idea. Thanks.

Round file.

Very.... funny..... in..... fact , I..... almost.... forgot.... to.... laugh

So, all the "jokes" aside

The question remains

How the duece does one remove one of them knobs?

Throwing this away is NOT an answer. Sure, I happen to have a few other, "better" ones, but, I would like to at least give this brace a better chance. The chuck is in A-1 shape, BTW.

Now, if we can skip the funny stuff.....Removal of a brace's knob?

Blog Entries
    Removal of a brace's knob?
    Different makers had different methods of attaching the pad (knob).

Some are even threaded onto the metal piece and then held by small screws.

Clear pictures of the underside might help. Can't really tell in your pictures, but could the pad (knob) be made in two pieces and glued together to trap part of the metal piece?

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 11-24-2014 at 9:44 PM. Reason: Can't really tell...

Looks more like just a press fit down inside. Not sure if a 16oz "helper" would drive it off. The junk metal up inside is just flaking out. I MIGHT know where a replacement knob might be. Had a 1/2" drive speed bar that looks like a brace. Have better sppeders now, so it is excess iron. Has a metal kanoobie on it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Round file.
    The round file is definitely where that junk brace belongs.

Ah, another from the peanut gallery chimes in....

Well, the knob has been removed. The pot metal retainer just fell out in little bits of schrapnel

Wood was pretty well wallowed out inside, too.

Found the 1/2" drive sppeder bar. Turns out, it is a diamond with a W inside Williams S B. USA

metal pad and grip, too. Hmmmmm, nah probably "junk" according to the esteemed panel here....

However, maybe a cut here, a thread there......will have to explore a few more things. Round file? Is that like a Rat-tail file?

Blog Entries
    metal kanoobie
    Any relation to Obie Won?

How can you expect people to stop joking when there is such a great set up line?

jtk

Blog Entries
    Round file? Is that like a Rat-tail file?
    It is an office worker expression. It is a circular shaped filing cabinet with an open top. Usually no higher than ankle level for depositing low priority items. Often removed in the evening for proper filing in the outdoor file system known as a dumpster.

jtk

OK, for what it is worth. Got rid of the cheap knob. Found an Antique "knob" and did a bit grinding
    IMAG0061.jpg
    Locktite CA to keep it there. That is not white paint. If I need to, I can drill and tap for a small bolt to keep it there. This might get used just to drive some screws. As for the chuck
    IMAG0060.jpg
    Hate to throw something like this away...
    BTW all parts that should be in that chuck, are in there, Chuck works very nicely.