Thread: Etwas No. 3 tool bag

Blog Entries

Etwas No. 3 tool bag

First off, I don't have USD $380 for a tool bag, but I did get a great eBay deal on one that I could afford. Certainly one would have to want more than just a tool bag to pay full price for one. One would need to respect the handcraft and want to be able to admire the sheer beauty every time they picked it up. The leather is a rich brown with reddish tones that all leather dreams of being. The leather is a full 3/8" thick, tanned on one side, and raw on the inside. The whole thing is hand sewn with thick waxed thread that really should be called string or even rope. All stitches are sewn into a groove so they are protected.

The hefty strap provides ample support, and I do love the button at the top to keep the handle together. I do wish the button were piened rather than pop riveted, but that is a tiny gripe and only aesthetic. I also find it odd that the handle, although riveted to the body, is tied together at the bottom. It appears flimsy, although on closer inspection it is very strongly tied, and the rivets do all the work.

The leather all around is 3/8" thick. The bag has room for a No. 7 and plenty of other tools. I put a few in just to illustrate the room. Obviously one would properly protect any tools he put in here.

This will replace my wooden tote for carrying tools to my Saturday boatbuilding class. I shall carry it with pride. Perhaps I'll stroll to the yacht harbor and get envious looks from the yachtie ladies with their Louis Vuitton handbags. Haha. I have to admit I would never spend $380 on a tool tote, but since I paid less than half that, I am well pleased. Knowing the price of leather of this quality and the time it would take to make one bag (5 hours or more according to the maker) the retail price is actually very fair. I can't stop looking at it, and am well pleased with the purchase.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Malcolm, most excellent!
    Maurice

Blog Entries
    Very cool!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    I love leather and have been dabbling in stitchery and riveting lately.
    Built a few of the Campaign Stools with nice results.
    Well bought; enjoy!

Blog Entries
    That is a nice carrier.

Do you know the maker?

Any chance they could make a divider with pockets to hold tools and keep them from banging into each other?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I do not know the maker, but he does do custom orders. Look up Etwas Handbags.

Buy some BROWN shoes! It is indeed nice ,but it is hard for we moderns to use something like that without being as protective of the leather as we are of the tools. I would probably end up carrying it in the box it came in.

Blog Entries
    OMG, my shoes don't match my handbag!!!!

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    OMG, my shoes don't match my handbag!!!!
    Malcolm: The fashion police have been alerted!

Dave B

You're going to have to ditch the coors light shirt, too. Those only go with nylon bags or plastic shopping bags!!

Blog Entries
    Haha. The Coors Light shirt was free and behind the overalls it's covered in oil, paint, and who knows what. There is, however, a cool Guy Harvey pic on the back of a kingfish hitting a ballyhoo.

I'm a Sam Adams kind of guy.