Thread: One of those days

One of those days

I just spent the entire afternoon making one serving tray. The first template for the sides was 1/4 ply, and I managed to chew a dip in it with the flush trim bit. Then after making a better template, I had terrible chip out on three different pieces. I eventually had to rout one side of the arc with a bottom bearing bit, then switch to a top bearing bit to do the other side. Then I managed to cut the bottom bevel the wrong way on one side. I didn't figure this out until I dry fit the parts. Okay, plane another piece of wood, cut the side, cut all the joinery, then rout the roundovers. Oops! I rounded over one of the ends. So I cut both side pieces shorter, trimmed my bottom piece, and Voila! It fits. At least I figured out pretty much all the things I can do wrong. Hopefully the next one will be easier.

I'll post a picture when I get it finished. It's from the last Wood magazine plan.

Dan, you've just pretty much described the NOP in my shop!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Dan,
    I love posts like yours! It assures me I am in good company. If I learned from my mistakes, each project would be worth a PhD.

I have routed on the wrong side of the wood, routed in the wrong place, cut too short, cut 90 degree angles that weren't, etc., etc. You name the woodworking 'opportunity' it has had my name on it!

Thanks for sharing and I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Warren

I just Don't Understand it, Dan. How could you possibly make so Many Mistakes on just one little Ole' Project? I have NEVER had a day like that in my life. (and if you Buy all this, Boyeeeee have I got a DEAL for You). Just read MY Signature line below.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Thanks Dan for illustrating to me that I'm not the only person who can spend an afternoon in the shop and end up with more sawdust than product. Nice thing about wood is that you can fix almost any mistake if you're willing to change the dimensions (i.e., make it smaller). I swear sometimes if I started to make a wardrobe, I'd be lucky to have a jewelry box by the time I got done trimming off all the mistakes.

- Vaughn

I hear you, Vaughn. But if I'd continued to make this tray smaller, it would only be good for a doll's tea set. Hey! There's an idea . . .