Thread: Material for Drawer Sides for Vanity Project.

Material for Drawer Sides for Vanity Project.

What would you use for drawer sides for a bathroom vanity project?

I am thinking about using soft maple for the better look. I just hate to mill 4/4 quarter material down to 1/2" for this. I have bought some soft maple in the past that was ~5/8" thick and milled it down but the widths available from that supplier are not wide enough for 8" deep drawers. I really don't want to glue up stock for drawer sides.

My other thought is to use Baltic Birch. The wife is ok with the look of the birch showing the plies on the tops of the drawer sides.

What are your thoughts on material for drawers for a bathroom vanity project.

Thanks for your input.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Any access to 5/4 and resaw?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    ^^^ Do this ^^^
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

With a modern design BB ply with finger joints looks great. For a traditional looking design, maple with dovetails would be more appropriate. FWIW, I see a lot of commercial products where the drawer sides have been glued up from narrower stock.

John

Resaw some thicker material............Rod.

For a bathroom vanity project, go with the BB.

I'd do the maple or my favorite ash. BB has its place but I'd not use it for drawers.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

1/2" BB prefinished drawer material is available in multiple widths with a rounded over top edge and a 1/4" bottom groove.

Blog Entries
    I generally use poplar for drawer sides. It works easy, finishes smooth and looks nicer than plywood. You can cut nice fitting dovetails. The green and purple hues on some pieces turn a nice brown color in a short time.

One additional thought. If you are using wood runners, use Maple. Plywood, even baltic brich will act like a file on your wood drawer runners.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 11-24-2014 at 4:50 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    ^^^ Do this ^^^
    I'd do this as well but, depending on the fixture I have no problem with 1/2" BB ply in a bathroom. I use drawer-lock joints because I find that through joints like dovetails or box joints just draw even more attention to the fact that there is plywood in play (although I sometimes do this for just that reason) but, whatever joint gives you the look you want should do. I also use ash if I want a really hard wood for the box or just want the look. Ash, soft/hard maple and poplar are very close in price around here so the decision for me is not one of price. Save your 4/4 maple for something else (especially if its that pretty red-hued kind) and forge ahead.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

For a fine furniture look, I'd use maple. If visible plies on the tops is acceptable, Baltic birch plywood is an excellent material for this, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...