Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using a Kreg tool..

Using a Kreg tool..

While I think using a Kreg is not necessarily a bad idea by any means, I dont think high end furniture should be put together using a Kreg.

Does anyone else have opinions here? Or would you scoff at someone trying to sell "high end custom furniture" attached using a Kreg tool?

Blog Entries
    I think that by "a Kreg tool" you are referring to pocket hole joinery which has been in use way before people knew what Kreg was. Is this what you mean? I see shoddy kitchen cabinets assembled with tongue and groove and mortise and tenon joinery; this does not make it fine furniture ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I think that by "a Kreg tool" you are referring to pocket hole joinery which has been in use way before people knew what Kreg was. Is this what you mean? I see shoddy kitchen cabinets assembled with tongue and groove and mortise and tenon joinery; this does not make it fine furniture ;-)

Yessir. Please excuse me, as I'm not too keen on all of the terminology yet.

I'm referring to drilling an angled hole and screwing them together on top of glue. Yes.

Maybe a better question to ask - - - what, in your opinion, do you consider to be high end/nice furniture? Is it the finish, how it's joined, the styling, all of it, what?

Pocket holes aren't what many would consider "traditional" joinery, but it is a very strong joint if done properly and is very fast and efficient. I think that it's a great joint for any kind of production work whether it be cabinets or furniture, as long as it's out of sight for the most part.

As woodworkers, we sometimes need to remind ourselves that most people could care less if a M&T joint was cut by hand or pocket holes or dowels or biscuits were used.

To your second question, I think fine furniture is in the eye of the beholder. Seems like a stir-the-pot kind of thread.
    Last edited by Matt Day; 11-24-2014 at 1:04 AM.

Dont mean to get the poo stinking, just trying to get some ideas as to what some people see as "shotty" work, while others may deem okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Pocket holes aren't what many would consider "traditional" joinery, but it is a very strong joint if done properly and is very fast and efficient. I think that it's a great joint for any kind of production work whether it be cabinets or furniture, as long as it's out of sight for the most part.

As woodworkers, we sometimes need to remind ourselves that most people could care less if a M&T joint was cut by hand or pocket holes or dowels or biscuits were used.

To your second question, I think fine furniture is in the eye of the beholder. Seems like a stir-the-pot kind of thread.

I think pocket holes are far from shoddy, but like any joint it must be executed properly. Shoddy work to me is a joint that doesn't pull together all the way, is unstable, cracks the wood, is not designed properly to account for wood movement or load, etc etc. You'll know it when you see it. Most people aren't going to post pictures of it though

One of the nice things about this hobby is you can do what you want. Pick your materials, joinery, etc, and don't worry about what others think as long as you or your SO like it.

Any informational links to wood movement? I've never considered this in the past when building tables. Granted I've never used exotic woods before ha

All wood moves, domestic or exotic.
    Google wood movement and I'm sure you'll find lots of info. There's also a movement calculator called the shrinkulator.

Blog Entries
    There is nothing wrong with using pocket ole screws to build furniture of any kind. I use pocket holes in my furniture where they won't be seen. I don't care for the look of plugged pocket holes, though I sometime plug pocket holes. I generally use pocket holes to attach internal frames to side panels and face frames. I prefer to use lap joints for face frames.

You can account for wood movement and still use pocket holes by elongating the small screw hole from the joint side before you put the screw in.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

The method of construction isn't necessarily related to the quality of the piece. Pocket screws and glue have their place, even in so-called "high-end" furniture and cabinetry. But it's also important to use joinery appropriate for the task and the expected stresses on the piece.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    When I build mortise and tenon chairs, I attach the arms to the side of the back posts often times with 1 1/2" woodscrews under a wood plug. The same for rockers to all four posts. I don't see any difference using pocket screws carefully. I would do it if a situation presented itself requiring it.

I have shop stools made entirely with pocket screw joinery and you have to pick the piece up and turn it over to know it is pocket screw joinery.

I would not likely use pocket screws for the crown or butt rail to a post though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Grubbs View Post
    Maybe a better question to ask - - - what, in your opinion, do you consider to be high end/nice furniture? Is it the finish, how it's joined, the styling, all of it, what?
    I see pocket holes as a solution from time to time. Some of my pieces go through design changes during the build due to my wanting to take advantage of a certain piece of figure or a mistake at the drawing board. If I am already at a stage of assembly where more traditional joinery is not possible, a pocket hole joint can cure my ills. I also use them as a mechanical reinforcing tool for thin trim pieces in difficult locations.

Media Cabinet (140).jpg

Had this joint been planned it would have been splined or T&G. Due to wanting to change the profile (arc) of the piece in mid stream, pocket holes became my friend. I also use pocket holes with oversized through-holes to attach small table tops where the amount of movement won't overrun the amount of room to move.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-24-2014 at 10:48 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

As mentioned before, pocket holes have been around long before Kreg. The are so may was to connect board, I say use what works. I'm not a purest. I build somethin so it will stay together. I get a kick out of these kinds of threads. Everybody ask if a so and so joint is appropiate but nobody ask if the TBII that they are using was around when the 15th century piece they are copying was made. As far as that goes, throw out all you power tools because they weren't around either.

I would like to point out that the Townsend-Goddard family used pocket screws on their furniture.
    This picture is from "the Master Craftsmen of Newport" and shows a pocket screw(s) holding the top to the frame. Look at the lower left of the image. There is another visible on the lower right side as well.
    Goddard Tea Table.jpg
    So if it is good enough for furniture that now is valued in the millions of dollars, then it is certainly good enough for anything I might do or buy.
    Mike
    Last edited by mike holden; 11-25-2014 at 9:29 AM.
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!