I've posted a couple of times as a neophyte to spoon carving. I already owned a beefy Ashley Iles 25mm #5 sweep gouge and put it to use carving the spoon bowl in dry woods. I bought a #7 to join it, figuring it might ease the initial work. It did not, and comparing it to smaller Pfeil gouges I own, I noted the ~30 degree bevel of the Iles in contrast to the ~20 degrees of the Pfeils.
I don't have a grinder but have used a 3 X 18 portable sander mounted belt side up in my vise for occasional metal shaping. Free-handing the gouges on a 60 grit zirconia belt fairly quickly reshaped the bevels to about 20 degrees. I had the belt going away from me and was able to rotate the tool side to side and ease the bevel while using the scratch pattern to approach the edge. There was no overheating by touch test, but as a precaution I used a water filled container for dipping.
Subsequent use of a coarse and then a fine diamond plate removed the belt striations, allowing the use of my usual 120 -1000 -5000 waterstone series followed by chromium oxide edge honing. The two gouges, each approximately 20 degrees now cut well with arm and torso pressure which I prefer to mallet blows. If I find edge chipping with the latter, I can add a slightly steeper micro bevel.
Nothing in carving is new, but I posted this to show that even the occasional carver can adapt a good tool to his specific needs.