Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Radial Arm: Omga vs Original Saw Co.?

Radial Arm: Omga vs Original Saw Co.?

I'm considering buying a radial arm saw. I know they're something of a luxury item these days, but it'll help me save time with halflaps and dados. I've read some posts here that say two companies, OMGA and Original Saw Company produce very good/excellent saws, but anyone know which is best? The seem similar-ish in price (~$4,000). Trouble is, I don't have any way of putting 'hands on' either of these machines, and with a purchase this big I'd like to do my research up front.

Anyone have experience with either of these brands? Are there other brands aside from these you'd suggest? How's the customer-service? Is it difficult to get parts if/when the machine breaks?

FOUR GRAND! Are you crazy? Get yourself an older DeWalt or, even better, a Northfield Unipoint (vintage) that's been restored for 1/4th that money by someone who knows what they are doing. The older machines are way better than what you can are looking at new today.
    Jeff

DeWalt made a spread of models that answered any need for woodworkers, they are cheap to acquire, and easy enough to restore. If your needs are modest and infrequent, a model 1200 or 1400 (my daily driver) will do quite nicely. They go for under $100 in my area, sometimes even GIVEN away; one fellow found his roadside, although somewhat underpowered, the accuracy is no less astonishing. This is not bashing old Delta iron either, their turret models are equal in stature as far as knowledgeable enthusiasts are concerned, and special groups do exist to aid you in the rebuild process.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 11-25-2014 at 9:38 PM. Reason: removed link to other forum which violates the TOSs
    - Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

I switched from restored old iron [16" Delta Turret] to an Omga RM700. I don't care what the common consensus is, I have owned both and the Omga is much better. Even though it weighs half as much the Omga is much stiffer, so less flex. The carriage on the Omga is a much better design, and totally rebuildable if need be. I don't use it as much these days, but it is a handy tool.

Thats a lot of money though if it is for occasional use or you do not need the extended reach and precision of the Omga. If I recall corectly my 700 was about $4500 15 years ago.

Larry

The new original saw models are as good and in most cases better than anything dewAlt made. I have one of those great old dewalts, I'd trade it in a heArt beat for an original saw. Carraige return, braking blade, modern Cnc machining, these new original saws are really very good, best of the old dewalt plus some great upgrades. Never laid hands on an Omga RAS but their chop saws are pretty substantial. I would not make his investment blind, go to a show or find a vendor that either hAs one or can refer you to an owner in your area that will show you theirs.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

I have an Omga pneumatic upcut saw, and they are high quality machines, like most other European machines.I didn't even know they made RAS' s.

I don't have an RAS. Doubtful I ever will. Don't like them, and never needed one.

But - If I was going to get one, I would get one from the Original Saw Co. The quality and range of products they make is jaw-dropping. A $4k OSC is at the bottom end of their product line, in terms of size and capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Heath View Post
    The older machines are way better than what you can are looking at new today.
    There are risks in generalizations. While this statement is often true true, in general, v. Chi-wanese imports today, it is not correct when it come to OSC. Their machines are every bit as good - if not better - that the "older machines" were when they shipped new from the factory. If you were to get a used OSC today, you have factory support in terms of parts and service. If you can find one - they are rare on the used market because they don't wear out, and no one wants to get rid of theirs.

In fact, in 1989 B&D got out of the stationary machine business, and sold the RAS operation to 2 executives. This was the original Dewalt machine, which has become the OSC.

In terms of a Unipoint saw - whether Northfield or any of the other makes, it is kind of a unique creature in the RAS world. THe concept is straightforward - the frame's pivot is built so that the saw rotates about the intersection of the blade line and the back fence - that is always the zero-zero point. So - you can confidently use a length measurment device on the tables, and get an accurate cut to that dimension, regardless of the angle.

Why would you want this? This style is "at home" in cutting parts for rafters and trusses. The stroke will let you make very shallow actute angle cuts - we are talking a 24" scarf cut here. A "regular design" RAS cannot do these things. If you were ever in a truss manufacturing operations, or watching wizards custom-frame rafters on big-$$ homes, you would - honestly - be amazed at what those guys can accomplish with a unipoint, in terms of productivity. They have a measurement device on the outfeed dtable, and are making one or 2 cuts before changing setup.

But - they take up one darn big amount of room. The job-site guys have them mounted on dedicated trailers. Nothing at all wrong with them, but often the wrong size hammer for the nail you are trying to hit.

I have no interest in OSC, for the record. Except, I have seem them, I have made a few pulls on them, and I am unreservedly impressed.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I have run RAS's for years. Had two DeWalt's, a 10 and 12 inch. Have a (OMG!) Ridgid that I bought about 10 years ago. They ALL work just fine for half laps and dadoes.

All of them have been extremely accurate. The way to accuracy with a RAS is by not taking a death grip on the handle. The way to avoid that depth grip is to get the correct blade. I use 80 tooth negative rakes. When half lapping that is not possible so I let the saw grip push against the heel of my hand to keep it from climbing. It also pays to not try to cut 13/16 wide by an inch deep.

There is no freakn way I would ever pay more than 500 bucks for a RAS. I don't care what the marketing geniuses dream up to tell me why I should.

+1 i got two of theses wadkin CC Cross cuts for $400 each and i don't worry about parts because these don't brake or need parts. I am with Jeff your nuts to pay $4000 with the glut of RAS on the market in the $200 range for top models.Do your research on the better models out there. I have an older Delta 14" with VFD i picked up for $143 added the VFD and am well under $500 for a dead nuts saw.
    You better hope them OSC and Ogama saws run on robots for that price.LOL

Last edited by jack forsberg; 11-25-2014 at 11:16 AM.
    jack
    English machines

Here is a Graule. In the European market it is considered the most accurate radial arm and the used prices over there reflect that. Downside for Cristian is you cannot put dados or groovers in this saw. They make a separate one for that. Another good thing is the blade guarding in the park position. Ours is mid size and will cut 5 3/8" thick. They have one that will cut almost 8".

Over the years we had several old Dewalts, large and small. I could never keep any of them cutting accurate in a production setting and they were used for only rough cutoff. I do know a couple hobby woodworkers that were able to keep Dewalts accurate with constant fiddling and tuning. It depends a lot on your application and volume of cutting you will be doing.

Joe

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

I think you are crazy also with the used RAS market being what it is. You could probably get a 14" or 16" saw for <$1K any day of the week. Less if you looked around a little. Post your location and you could probably get a lot more help. OWWW and the DeWalt RAS forums are great help also.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    Here is a Graule. In the European market it is considered the most accurate radial arm and the used prices over there reflect that. Downside for Cristian is you cannot put dados or groovers in this saw. They make a separate one for that. Another good thing is the blade guarding in the park position. Ours is mid size and will cut 5 3/8" thick. They have one that will cut almost 8".

Over the years we had several old Dewalts, large and small. I could never keep any of them cutting accurate in a production setting and they were used for only rough cutoff. I do know a couple hobby woodworkers that were able to keep Dewalts accurate with constant fiddling and tuning. It depends a lot on your application and volume of cutting you will be doing.

Joe

You were doing something wrong then. DeWalt saws played a major role in the building of Leavittown, among other post WWII developments. The saws did it all from cutting to length, to cutting compound angles for rafters, even doing the bird's mouth angle for the top plate intersect. Although not the only one to do mass housing production, Leavitt was the most well- known name, being successful with his pre- cut home packages delivered on site, ready for erection with little need for actual rough work. This was done at his lumber yard, where millions of boards were processed per his specs, and he was not an easy man to please:

The original DeWalt machines were, and still are, best of breed, with muliplicity of design patents and progressive innovation, they had their day in the sun as do all things, but the survivors can and in fact do outperform contemporary designs with little attention to maintenance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

Christian,

I think this thread has somewhat taken on a direction of its own. I have a twenty year-old Delta 12" RAS that I bought new. I don't use it much, but there are times when it will do things easier and maybe better than any other machine or method.

Two things in my opinion. First, there is not much worse machine than a cheap radial arm saw. Inaccurate, and built to stay that way. You'll spend all of your time trying to adjust and align it.

Next, there is a place for those who have time and/or desire to restore vintage machines. I believe that they are some of the best; true labors of love. But that just isn't my thing. I'd rather pay for a high quality, lifetime tool and get on with my passion of building furniture. Plus, where I live, I'd never find a highly restored RAS.

Enjoy your buying experience and peace of mind that comes with owning a very nice tool. Sorry I have no information to share on the tools you're looking at.

Scott in Montana

Well put Scott. There is nothing wrong about the OP asking about the new saws and I think he has narrowed down two very capable brands. The Graule is not easy to buy new over here.
    Like you I am not in a very good area for easy pickings of vintage machinery. I have a few pieces I picked up that did not need much work as I have no time for full on restoration either.
    RAS's are funny things. In the day they were the thing for cutting rafters and such. They are a multipurpose saw with a lot of adjustments that make keeping in tune hard. I think in a home shop they can be useful for cutting some angles and joinery if you don't mind the setup. In a pro shop there are better more accurate ways to do this.
    In my shop the RAS gets used a lot for busting rough boards to workable length. I could never depend on them for accurate square cuts when needed. The Graule has solved this. We can break down the rough and still use it for accurate square cuts. Any angles and extreme accurate crosscuts happen at the slider. If I had not found this I was ready to move on a Omga upcut like Max mentioned. I have used one of those and very nice.

Joe