Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Decide On A Drum Sander!?!?

Help Me Decide On A Drum Sander!?!?

Hi Guys,

I know this has been discussed many times before and I've looked through a lot of threads but I can't find anything that directly relates to the Drum Sanders I am looking at. I'm a hobbiet who is passionate about getting the best tools I can when I purchase them. That being said I would be more comfortable near $2500 but if I would be a lot happier spending more I will, but $3,500 has to be near my max.

I am leaning towards a Supermax 25-50 or a Supermax 25x2 ES.

25-50 Specs-
    Open ended capable of up to 50"
    Single Drum
    1.75 hp motor
    4" max depth
    Cost- $2,293
    Video- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRKt9cSCjvw

25x2 ES-
    Closed end sander capable of 25"
    Dual Drum
    3 hp motor
    6" max depth
    Cost- $3,439
    Video- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IruHHTfWAh8

Some others that I'm kicking around are the Jet 22-44 (both oscillating and non-oscillating models) and the General 15-250M1. Some people also recommend the woodmaster brand as well.

I am interested to hear your opinions on any others models that you would recommend as well.

I appreciate your help.

Matt

The closed end Supermax would be my choice. The Jet is OK, but if you're going in that direction, buy it used. It's not worth what they charge new, IMHO. I have the 22-44, so I should know. That open ended Supermax looks exactly like the Jet. It's most likely the same exact machine, with possibly some minor changes, so it's even MORE overpriced than the Jet. In fact, half their sanders look like copies of various Jet sanders, including the 22-44 pro. It just makes me wonder what the lineage of the 25x2 is. At least that model comes with a real rubber conveyor belt, not the ridiculous sanding belt that most other models come with. It seems like a nice machine.

I have the SuperMax 25-50 and am really pleased with it. I looked for almoast two years for a used 19-38 and finally found a two month old 25-50 with the table extensions, enclosed stand and 7 packs of sandpaper for $1,400 on CL.

SuperMax is "made" by the guys who originally designed the Performax, which is the predessor to the Jet (there apparently is a long tale of intrigue, mystery, woe and corporate wierdness). It is much more stout and a better engineered tool IMHO, for example, the drum cover is cast not sheetmetal like the Jet. Also the drum head moves up & down, not the feed bed, which is important when surfacing longer stock because outboard roller supports don't have to be readjusted with each pass. The feed belt does not have the alignment issues one hears so much about with the Jet. The paper is easy to attach which facilitates moving through grits easier.

I built my own roller base because the wheels on the enclosed base are linear which really doesn't work well for mobility.

I have an older model Supermax 25 x 2 and it works well for me. I previously owned a performax 22/44, which is a big step up from hand sanding but extremely slow on wide and or hard stock. The 25 x 2 has a 5 hp motor and faster feed rates. For some reason the 2 drums seem to washboard a lot less than the single drum.

I think the whole machine is just much stiffer. The cantilevered design isn't terrible. It's just a compromise. My 22/44 is adequate for my purposes but I wish I'd either bought it used, or spent a little more on a stiffer design. I don't think I get $2000 of performance out of it.

Woodmaster. Built like a tank, and easy to adjust and repair. Check the videos on you tube. There are a ton of them.

Wait for the sale where you get free shipping and the reversing switch.

I have a 5 HP 37" single drum. I think I would have been happy with the 24, but it was on sale.

Rick Potter

I have been using the General International 15-250 for about six months and am very happy with its performance. It's very robust and easy to use. I'm a hobbyist, but I have no doubt this unit would be a workhorse in any shop.
    Pat

FYIW, if I upgrade my Jet, I'll be taking a VERY serious look at Woodmaster products. Have already, actually, and I'm really kicking myself for not doing it. The deciding factor was size. The Jet 22/44 was just much easier to locate and store in my rather cramped shop. Since I don't use it often, and mostly in batches, it gets tucked in a corner most of the time.

Blog Entries
    Another Supermax 19-38 owner here. Very stout machine. I have not adjusted it since initial setup although I do check it a few times a year; always still aligned. I have heard horror stories about other open ended machines and alignment issues but, have had none of that. It may be that the 25-50 is pushing the limits of this format(?).

You can change paper in just a minute of two including rolling up the loose paper and putting it away. I never hesitate to change grits as I am working since it is so easy. The footprint is huge so I built a mobile storage cabinet below the unit. The way you work will determine your needs. I didn't realize the 25-50 had gone up so much in just a short time(?). Acme has it for $1999.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    I have the SuperMax 25-50 and am really pleased with it. I looked for almoast two years for a used 19-38 and finally found a two month old 25-50 with the table extensions, enclosed stand and 7 packs of sandpaper for $1,400 on CL.

SuperMax is "made" by the guys who originally designed the Performax, which is the predessor to the Jet (there apparently is a long tale of intrigue, mystery, woe and corporate wierdness). It is much more stout and a better engineered tool IMHO, for example, the drum cover is cast not sheetmetal like the Jet. Also the drum head moves up & down, not the feed bed, which is important when surfacing longer stock because outboard roller supports don't have to be readjusted with each pass. The feed belt does not have the alignment issues one hears so much about with the Jet. The paper is easy to attach which facilitates moving through grits easier.

I built my own roller base because the wheels on the enclosed base are linear which really doesn't work well for mobility.
    You got a really good deal. I have been keeping my eye on craigslist but nothing has come up nearly as good as what you got.

Good to hear from someone who has one of the sanders I'm interested in. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Woodmaster. Built like a tank, and easy to adjust and repair. Check the videos on you tube. There are a ton of them.

Wait for the sale where you get free shipping and the reversing switch.

I have a 5 HP 37" single drum. I think I would have been happy with the 24, but it was on sale.

Rick Potter
    I just took a look and they seem very well built. Thanks for the advise. The 5hp is what really has me interested. The highest Supermax I'm interested in is 3hp.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Another Supermax 19-38 owner here. Very stout machine. I have not adjusted it since initial setup although I do check it a few times a year; always still aligned. I have heard horror stories about other open ended machines and alignment issues but, have had none of that. It may be that the 25-50 is pushing the limits of this format(?).

You can change paper in just a minute of two including rolling up the loose paper and putting it away. I never hesitate to change grits as I am working since it is so easy. The footprint is huge so I built a mobile storage cabinet below the unit. The way you work will determine your needs. I didn't realize the 25-50 had gone up so much in just a short time(?). Acme has it for $1999.
    Good to hear about the paper changing because it would be great if I can use the sander up to 180 or higher since the paper is easy to change.

The price I quoted was for the Sander & extension tables.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    FYIW, if I upgrade my Jet, I'll be taking a VERY serious look at Woodmaster products. Have already, actually, and I'm really kicking myself for not doing it. The deciding factor was size. The Jet 22/44 was just much easier to locate and store in my rather cramped shop. Since I don't use it often, and mostly in batches, it gets tucked in a corner most of the time.
    Good to hear your experience with Jet. I think I will write the Jet off the list for now (unless one comes up for a great deal on craigslist).

I got to use the Jet 22/44 a couple weeks ago at David Marks' shop during a class. I was quite impressed with it. I just don't think I have the space for such a large sander but I would seriously consider getting one. Right now, I make do with a Delta 18/36. It is slow but it actually works nicely. I still need to employ the "Coloccia" tape crown on the rollers to keep the darn conveyor belt from walking off to the side.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

It would be useful to know what kind of sanding you need it for. I would favor a stroke sander over a drum sander any day. Ben using sanders in commercial shops for over 40 years. One shop we had a Timesaver and 3 stroke sanders.