Thread: Mylands Friction Polish

Mylands Friction Polish

I have started using Mylands sanding sealer and friction polish on some of my pens. I would like to get some input on how far I should sand the blanks before applying the polish? what is a good grit to stop at? I have tried 700, and I have also worked through micro mesh up to 12,000. Also, would like to know how many coats other people are applying? If there is anyone who has been using this on their pens for a while, I would like to know what the long term durability is? Thanks for the info.

2. I used to go to 600 grit, but have recently been going up to 4000 grit with micro mesh. I have had good luck with going to 800 grit, then putting the Mylands on ....a couple of coats just to pop the grain, then use micro mesh from 1200 to 4000. then final finish.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

For give away, fast finish pens, I sand with MM as smooth as it comes in the sanding pack. I forget exactly what mesh that is, but its really fine. Couple coats of friction polish, and my twist is I use the Perfect Pen Polish wax AFTER, both brown and white to make the finish shine. I love the feel of the PPP, but It really does nothing for popping the grain. The friction polish gets down in the grain, and makes the pen pop a little, then the wax makes it feel great. I tell the pen recievers that the finish is not that durable, and will wear. Personally, I love that feel and patina that the "real" wood gets when you use it. One of my friends still has a pen I turned 16 years ago and he uses it every day here at work. Makes me feel pretty good about that......
    The selling pens get CA finish for durability. I don't like how it feels though. Feels a little plastic-y. But I don't use them, and it looks good for selling. Just my $0.02.

My method for wood pens is to sand to 600 grit followed by EEE then on to Mylands friction polish. I find softer woods require more coats of mylands. Hope this helps. The above method is not the only one, it just works for me.