Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What qualities make a "better" chisel worth the cost?

What qualities make a "better" chisel worth the cost?

Im going to buy a 1/8" chisel. I found a Narex for $7.50 and an Ashley Iles for $32.

If its ok with you folks, could we please ignore the brand names for a moment? Im trying to understand something more fundamental because (honestly) Im terribly ignorant about chisels and want to learn a bit. I think I understand that the steel can make a big difference. From various sharpening threads Ive got the basic concepts of that; e.g., changing the type of steel can change how sharp you can get a blade, and/or how long the edge will last between touch-ups.

But at the handtool newbie level, a chisel is just a piece of good steel with a well made, strong handle. Of course I know better, but learning why is the point of this thread. What else makes one chisel higher quality than another?

Ive learned enough from you folks that I could probably answer this question for hand planes. I mean, its pretty clear why a LN plane is better than a Buck Brothers or Kobalt. But planes have far more to them than a chisel seems to.

Will you please teach me?

Thank you!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I've had ashley iles and narex. The cost to manufacture the two makes the difference in price there, but I was never impressed with the ashley iles chisels for their supposed hardness. The one thing "better" about them is that they are oil hardening steel while narex chisels are some kind of more common steel that is likely air hardening (and a bit more gummy). At least of the types I've used.

I've had two sets of AI chisels, though, and neither held an edge like you'd expect oil hardening steel to hold an edge. They didn't hold an edge any better than my softer vintage chisels that are inexpensive. Maybe I just has some duds. (I'd get the narex of the two in that deal).

Two things can reasonably add cost that makes better performance:
    1) the type of steel and quality of the hardening and tempering
    2) the quality of the grind

1 allows you to have a chisel that sharpens easily and holds an edge well (especially in relative comparison to each other)
    2 allows you to have a chisel with a profile that you like and if the grind is done well, prep is minimal and the chisel doesn't interfere with much of your work

Handles and other design elements can add some cost, but whether they add utility is subjective.

I'm not going to talk about these two particular brands, but I can offer things to consider. But let me first say that I agree that chisels are relatively simple and most modern steel is pretty decent, i.e., even an inexpensive chisel can get everything you need done well. Then again, a Yugo might get you to the supermarket, but it's nice to go in a Lexus.

- BALANCE:
    The design of a chisel and it's handle change it's balance and feel in your hand. A better fit and balance may translate into better control and comfort which can translate into better results. So what effects balance: overall length, materials, design issues like tang versus socket. Compare for example the weight and feel of a Stanley Everlasting and a Stanley 750 and a Swan tang. Compare the difference between a 720 length chisel and a butt.

- FINISH:
    The bevels on the long sides of the chisels can be well thought out and executed or more of an afterthought. Well designed and finished blades are nicer to use as they fell better in your hand and fit in tight places on your projects more deftly.

- HANDLE:
    This is really personal preference, but it can make a lot of difference. Holding plastic is not as nice as holding oiled wood for me, for example. A well placed cove for your fingers, a nice taper or bulge, etc. can make quite a difference depending upon the application and how you like to hold the tool.

- STEEL:
    So there is some bad cheap chromium steels I've seen on some cheap modern carpenters brands, but most modern steel seems quite good enough. Then again, I must say my experience is that there is such a thing as really sweet fine grained steels that take and keep a super keen edge. Most of those I have run into are vintage (Berg, Swan, Witherby, etc.). They are treat to use. LN's A2 is really strong, so it is great for jobs where I'm pounding the chisel into the wood, like in chopping dovetails. You don't want soft steel and your don't brittle. But other than that, most can be made to work. The otehr thing to consider as you get picky about steels is how different sorts behave in your chosen sharpening method. It's easy to sharpen vintage OI on some media, but harder to deal with A2, etc.

Hope some of this helps.

~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

I don't have any "nice" chisels. I have some Marples blue chips, a Stanley Bailey set and a Narex mortise and a couple misc Irwin chisels.

The Marples are my hands down favorite. They sharpen easily and hold and edge well but it's mostly that I like the balance and handle shape better than the others. I dislike the large clunky Narex handles. I've read that some people have reshaped the Narex handles with good results. The Baileys are similar to the Narex handles but smaller and have indents top and bottom than make them more comfortable. The Irwin handles were designed by someone who never used a chisel but I was able to make a pair of skews of $12, so I can't complain too much. The steel doesn't hold and edge as well as the others but they are usable.

If I were going to buy a premium chisel, it would be more about the balance and feel than anything else. I've never used a Stanley 750 or the LN chisels but they look like they'd feel good in use. I like the looks of the AI mark 2 style. The thinner lands seem nice especially for dovetails. they "look" like they would be well balanced, not too long or short and the handle shape would feel good in the hand. But I'd have to use then to know for sure.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Blog Entries
    My response is just pick up a LN or 750 and you will know the difference.

I have both and also blue handled Marples. The Marples is close and served me well.

Being something of a chisel snob, I pretty much use the LN and 750's.

I have a couple of the "Stanley Everlasting", but for some reason, I don't favor them.

Sometimes, an old chisel will not hold an edge like it should. I think that is a case where the proper alloy was not used in manufacturing.

For mortise chisels, I prefer Ray Iles. The Lee Valley Narex mortise chisels are good, but don't have the feel of the Iles. That can be changed somewhat by sanding and smoothing the Narex chisel handles and rubbing with Johnson floor wax. I have no problem with the metal in the Narex chisels.

The old Stanley 60 plastic handled chisels have good metal in them and make great "beater" chisels. The 1970's version absolutely hold a good edge.

I also have the Narex cranked neck paring chisels and I like them, especially after smoothing the handles. They are dangerously sharp.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 11-25-2014 at 10:07 AM. Reason: sp

Im going to buy a 1/8" chisel.
    For what purpose, Fred? Morticing, paring, chopping dovetails ...?

Regards from Perth

Derek

more likely,if an old chisel of a good brand doesn't hold an edge as well as the other same brand chisels,it was not hardened or tempered quite properly. Might have been made at the end of the day on Friday. Old QC was not what it is today.

QC depended upon the skill of the operator. Everyone can have a bad day,been sick,etc. Or even drunk back then.

To Derek's point, Fred, yes, there are specialty chisels for certain applications. Mortising, dovetailing, paring, skew, crank neck, etc. I took you to be asking about general purpose bench chisels.
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    ...a chisel is just a piece of good steel with a well made, strong handle...
    This is a rich statement, and is exactly why a good chisel costs double, triple, 10x a cheap one.

Like sushi, I didn't know what 'good' sushi was until I tried 'bad' sushi.

Good steel sharpens well and holds a keen edge for a good while. I think 99% of the price is about this steel. A good handle won't split, but is ultimately replaceable, and your hand can learn to work with a variety of ergonomics; in fact, the exact size and shape of a handle may be slightly user-specific.

The steel is not.

I have the Narexes and they are a very good value. They perform fairly decently and are priced amazingly.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 11-25-2014 at 10:40 AM.

Blog Entries
    Frederick,
    It might help to determine what you plan to use the chisels for. I have two main classifications of chisels: 1)chisels I can go ahead and whack, hard, with a steel hammer and 2) those that I plan to use either with hand pressure or maybe a special Wood Is Good or Thor Mallet. From there one can break the tougher chisels down to mortise vs other chisel shapes and if one chooses to go with Japanese chisels there are other classifications of chisels. The chisels used for fine, more hand oriented work can be broken down into many categories too.

Most of my hard use chisels have metal rings that protect the ends from splitting. The lighter use chisels usually do not have rings. Rings are especially handy if you want to use something like a Japanese metal chisel hammer to drive your chisels. Certainly one can drive chisels with many different types of mallets/hammers. Many use wood or special plastic hammer/mallet heads. I think there is a different feel of authority and precision one gets from striking a chisel with a steel hammer but for many others, not so much.

Most of the chisels made in the US or Europe, these days, are one type of metal. Many Japanese chisels are laminated. The Japanese laminated chisels are typically a very hard steel and a softer back up steel. The softer steel reinforces the hard steel that might crack or break easily without the help of the softer steel. The use of the softer steel also makes these chisels much easier to sharpen than say a solid HSS chisel. The laminated steel usually enables the maker to construct an edge that is harder and tougher at the same time without substantially increasing the difficulty of sharpening. Japanese chisels are often made by skilled craftsmen by hand instead of "manufactured".

Japanese chisels have quite a few other features that are a little complicated to get into. The backs of typical Japanese chisels are typically hollowed out instead of flat, the Japanese have a unique method of attaching chisels to handles, many Japanese chisels can be bought with handles made form several different woods, each with it's own unique features....The variety of features available in Japanese chisels is generally far greater than US/European chisels.

Consideration of what joints you will be wanting to make in the near future is a good place to start researching chisels from. The chisels you may want for timber framing or chopping mortises and tenons in a Roubo bench are worlds away from what you might want to trim very small hand made dovetails. You may also want to consider if and with what you might want to strike your chisels with. I hear a rumor that Rob Lee has contractors who "spank" anyone who strikes one of their very nice PM-V11 chisels with an all steel hammer. At the same time Rob may encourage you to strike one of his chisels with one of his metal hammer/mallets with a wood insert in the face.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 11-25-2014 at 11:07 AM.

I have a plethora of chisels and am slowly learning what makes a "good" chisel. Steel quality is important up to the point where it will take really good edge and hold it long enough for your work. That is, perhaps, why O1 and vintage steels are so popular. Assuming you are talking a new chisel, then if it comes with a back already lapped flat, you will save lots of time when honing. If you are doing dovetails then the bevels are important. Lack of bevel is important in a mortise chisel. Overall feel in your hand can make all the difference in the confidence with which you attack a joint. I have two different kinds of paring chisels - the Narex set and a couple Blue Spruce. The difference in feel for the same size is incredible. The BS are a finely tuned, responsive sports car where the Narex are more like a Mack dump truck. Both are worthy chisels and both will get the job done, but the experience is so much better with the BS.

A lot depends on your attitude. Are you a penny pincher in the rest of your life or do you appreciate the finer things in life? Can you spend more for a good suit or are you OK with an OTR from Kohls? For me, at the moment, I have the Veritas PM-V11 set (no 3/16") and Narex mortising and paring sets, the aforementioned BS paring chisels, and Marples along with misc. vintage and plastic handled, contractor Stanleys.

I'm going to make a comment about steel. I am sometimes a steel chaser, I love a chisel that has "dry steel", like vintage water hardening steel or japanese steel. Those are the types of chisels that don't form a very tenacious wire edge, and they can be sharpened on anything.

BUT, it really doesn't make any difference. The narex chisels and chisels of A2 have a much stronger wire edge that doesn't just strop off as easily on a bare strop, or leave a particularly neat edge if a large wire edge tears off, but the only thing needed to remedy that is some honing compound and a piece of MDF to use as a strop. When I got the narex parers a while ago, I worked up their edge and just used an MDF strop and 1 micron diamond (which cuts fairly softly on a piece of MDF). They were stunningly sharp after that, and it took no longer than anything else. The MDF and diamond substitutes for whatever your last step would otherwise be. (mine for "dry steel" would be a bare leather strop).

Green Chrome ox compound would have the same effect.

You can really get used to anything, and bird dogging a chisel because it's not a specific type of steel or it doesn't hold at a certain angle (but would at +2%) or because the side lands are too tall (that can be remedied in a matter of minutes by grinding back the lands on the first inch of the chisel). its' all just forum talk.

If you had narex chisels and ground them to however you liked them, or you had $75 each type chisels, it would make no difference in your work. And if you lived in a vacuum away from the talk and urge to try other stuff, you'd never really want for anything. The method you use to get them sharp would conform until it does just that and you'd be on your way.

True dat, bout da lands:

Blog Entries
    But at the handtool newbie level, a chisel is just a piece of good steel with a well made, strong handle. Of course I know better, but learning why is the point of this thread. What else makes one chisel higher quality than another?
    I do not know about the quality difference between the Narex and the Ashley Iles. From comments on this forum it appears more people are happy with the chisels from Narex than the ones from AI.

One thing to consider, at least in this case, is the cost of labor and the manufacturing process.

My preference has always been for socket chisels independent of the maker. This way my handles can be made to my liking.

Being a frugal minded person my choice in this case would likely be to go for the Narex. Then if it didn't work out the loss would be less and an easy recovery.

The Narex is likely less than what a vintage 1/8" chisel would cost on ebay.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Marples chisels, with both Boxwood, and Blue Plastic handles, serve me well enough that I don't need anything "better" for bench chisels. As long as I can sharpen one easily enough to do this, I'm fine with it. The larger, lighter shaving, taken by a Stanley block plane, with a stock iron, is .0011. The ones rolled up on the handsawn tenon cheek offcut of Heart Pine were too fragile to unroll to measure the thickness of.
    Attached Images Attached Images