Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12” White Ash bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Faust M. Ruggiero View Post
    Leo,
    There are lots of well turned bowls out there but when I see one perfectly grain balanced like yours I know it was turned by a discriminating craftsman. The first thing I saw when I looked at your bowl was the perfectly matching heartwood. Sweet job.
    faust
    Thank you Faust , I can only show what mother nature provides Faust, and try to do the best with that 1thumb.gif
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Now that's a beauty Leo! The form, the centered grain and the small raised edge on the outside of the rim all work to make this a standout bowl! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Steve , and it can still be a good popcorn bowl Steve 1thumb.gif
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Matheny View Post
    Now that is a sweet bowl Leo! The pith sure is in the right place to set it off.

Sid

Thanks for commenting Sid, I appreciate that , the brown coloration was just luck to be even like that, I’ve seen it so often with White Ash over where I used to live, where the coloration often can go way off to one side.

In Lodon where I used to live, when you would cut White Ash on the East side of town, the wood would have brown coloration in all the Ash trees, but then if you would go and cut White Ash on the West side of town there was hardly any that would have that, and were just clear white wood.

I have a picture here that shows the brown coloration in these White Ash logs, yes it’s a bad picture, I know, but the best I have to show the color going all over, and it isn’t the heartwood actually, just discoloration in the trees wood

White Ash logs.jpg
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    Nice grain, nice rim, nice bowl. Looks like a good size for a salad bowl depending on the finish.
    Thanks Thomas ,
    I hope you wouldn’t actually go and eat the wood Thomas, but just take the tossed salad out of the bowl to your own bowl or plate , as that is where the Polymerized Tung oil finish is, right in the wood, and not affected by most anything people eat, tough and water resistant and safe.
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 11-27-2014 at 2:10 AM.
    Have fun and take care

I absolutely love the 1st picture. Ditto to what everyone else has said about balanced grain. Good form, nicely finished. The dark brown coloration almost looks like handles. Simple, classic form, well turned and finished. Exactly what I like to do as well.

12" is a nice size for popcorn or salad. For popcorn it's big enough that when you reach into the bowl to grab a handful of popcorn, you won't be shoving extra kernals over the rim.

Leo

I really like the grain pattern, it reminds me of a small bowl I turned out of Russian olive.

Bob

Thank you Pat , you know Pat I would never get that much popcorn from the LOML , heck I would have to go and find it in there I think 1thumb.gif
    Not really
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Willing View Post
    Leo

I really like the grain pattern, it reminds me of a small bowl I turned out of Russian olive.

Bob
    Thanks for commenting Bob , Oh I just love Russian Olive, that must be a nice bowl
    Have fun and take care

I once took a class taught by Al Stirt. He was a fanatic concerning ring symmetry. Your bowl would go to the head of his class.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Gilbert View Post
    I once took a class taught by Al Stirt. He was a fanatic concerning ring symmetry. Your bowl would go to the head of his class.
    Thanks Paul , well that’s quite the compliment
    Have fun and take care