Thread: S & P Mills

S & P Mills

IMG_0119 (Copy).JPG

Here is my latest S & P Mills made with Birdseye maple and walnut for the Celtic knot. These were finished with Waterlox 2 coats and than buffed.

Very nice pair Robert! I like the form on the top, looks like an Onion-dome like you see in Russian and Eastern Europe architecture.

The scale of the knot and its placement work well. Very nice pair, though I would disagree with Tim, I would prefer a rounded top. The point is - how will the customer like them? It is great to experiment with form.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Robert, when doing those celtic knots for that size I was wondering what kind of glue you use? I have made them in pen size and use CA and was wondering if that is strong enough for the larger size like a pepper mill. They are a very nice pair of mills.
    Wally

Thom

I sell about 10 set a year with the same style top, I have been making them for 5 years now, in fact two customers have bought at least 5 set each for wedding gifts. I guess the round top would be easier with the crush grind but these are not that variety. I buy mine at Wood Turners Catalog.

Bob

Wally

I use Titebond II or III. I just match the wood thickness to match the saw blade thickness.

Bob

Those are really sharp! I hope to try some mills soon and these shapes will give me some inspiration of what to shoot for.

Adam
    USMC '97-'01

Very nice! The birdseye looks great!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Willing View Post
    Thom

I sell about 10 set a year with the same style top, I have been making them for 5 years now, in fact two customers have bought at least 5 set each for wedding gifts. I guess the round top would be easier with the crush grind but these are not that variety. I buy mine at Wood Turners Catalog.

Bob
    There you go - the customer hath spoken LOL... It DOES differentiate them from the mass produced grinders. I've done a few, but never been really happy with the shape. What looks good on the lathe does not always look right standing. And that is probably truer of spindle work than any other.

Again, not my preference, but I do really like the knot work and over all presentation. I've done knots a few times as celtic themes are a favorite of mine.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Thanks Steve Birdseye is quite common up here in the UP of Michigan.

Thom

Not to belabor the point but http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/t/...and-Salt-Mills look at the mills on this page from woodturners.

Bob