Thread: Compound miter saw

Compound miter saw

I need a 12" compound miter saw for a small wood working shop that has several workers. I am considering a Makita , Dewalt and possibly Bosch. I would like to hear from owners of these machines, especially newer models that are still currently being sold. Am I missing any other brands? My budget is around $700 give or take a little.
    Last edited by chuck vlkojan; 11-25-2014 at 6:11 PM. Reason: misspedded a brand

I have the 12" Bosch non-slider and like it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I bought the Ridgid last year during a Christmas sale. I don't remember exactly but it was well below 700. You are certainly buying at the right time. I got a better model for less than the one below it....special buy or something like that.

I have the 12" Bosch GCM12SD hinged non-slider. It is very accurate and does not require the depth space that a slider does. It's a big saw and seems very well engineered and made.

I have a 12" non-slider Ridgid that was given to me. It moves a degree or two as you tighten it. I use it only for rough cutting lengths and would NOT recommend one. The guy that gave me the Ridgid bought the Bosch slider and loves it. I believe it is more than you want to spend, though.
    Last edited by Jon Nuckles; 11-26-2014 at 1:47 PM.

I have had a DeWalt Slider (12") since 2001 and it still runs well for me. Accurate enough for me. Parts are still available for this saw. New ones run about $600 now. (I paid $332 for mine in 2001)
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I too have a DeWalt. It is a 708. I got it the first year it came out. It was a "refurbished' offer and I paid $250 for it. This model is a SCMS. I have never had any trouble with it and it is easy to adjust. The adjustment video is on YouTube. I have to check for making spot on cuts if the temperature varies a great deal due to metal movement. All in all it has served me well.

I owned a 10 inch Makita for years, bought it back in the early 80's. It was a great saw, but I wanted a 12 inch, so I bought a Makita (cant remember the number right now, but can get it). It was the biggest piece of crap I have ever seen. Inaccurate, would not hold adjustments, started falling apart almost from day one. Makita customer support was awful. I will never buy a Makita anything again. I now own a 12 inch DeWalt and am happy with it

I read on another forum the Bosch glide is selling for $599 at the Borg (confirmed on their website). I don't have one, but I thought the Milwaukee had gotten decent reviews, too.
    Last edited by Harvey Miller; 11-26-2014 at 7:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Miller View Post
    I read on another forum the Bosch glide is selling for $599 at the Borg (confirmed on their website). I don't have one, but I thought the Milwaukee had gotten decent reviews, too.
    Was in the BORG today and saw a stack of them marked $599.

I have one. Love it. The axial glide mechanism can be locked off so that it functions as a simple miter saw, but even with the arm loose it's very accurate.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

11. I have the Bosch Glide and just put the Forrest Chopmaster blade and the cut of the new blade is night and day. The Bosch saw is great especially in a small shop. It's built very rigid and does not seem to deflect much at all, and that's not to mention the space savings. The only saw I would trade it for is Festool Kapex and that is $1400... So that's not going to happen.

I was just at Home Depot and the Bosch is on sale for $599 and there is the Dewalt which is $399, which seems like a good price (without doing any research).

I have seen the Bosch Glide for $499 at Costco but I think that was a closeout deal.

I have the 12" Makita SCMS, and it works fine. Far better than the 10" Craftsman it replaced.

I picked up a Dewalt DW718 about a year and a half ago to replace an old horrid 10" Craftsman that even when new was only marginal for 90 degree framing cuts. I also put my RAS to rest at the same time since i used it primarily for cross cuts. Dead on out of the box for straight and miter cuts. Accurate on bevels, but i do find myself avoiding bevels as it's awkward to get behind the saw to set them. Does return to square fairly easily. As i recall, it was a "special purchase" at $399 then, while the Bosch Glide was still in the $700 range (i'm thinking??). I'd have preferred the Glide at that time, but as a hobbyist, i couldn't reconcile the cost. I've got no real complaints on the DW718, but i've begun watching CL and auctions for a glider--at the right price i'd make the switch only to be able to configure the shop a little differently. That extra 8" or so of depth does limit where i can put the Dewalt.

earl

sounds like your asking about a nonslider .i have 3 dewalts ,one of which is double bevel .i do finish and trim .these have been more work saws for years .i now have two sliders .a kapex and a milwaukee .with forest blades all these saws cut very well .i duc taped flanges on the dewalt to help with dust collection .hooked up to a vacuum they are as efficient as the kapex . but your getting a saw for a shop .if you have a dust collector consider a milwaukee .hooked up to a dust collectors 4" hose [pretty easy to do] this saw has excellent dust collection . plus it has this great digital miter gauge .but the saw is heavy and big .

I've had a Dewalt 780 for a while now. I had it set up in the shop for cutting everything until I bought an OMGA RAS. Now I just use it for jobsites. It has served me very well and stays accurate on the miters and bevels. The plus on the Dewalt is the light that shadows the blade for the cut line. It's much more accurate than a laser and you don't have to make any adjustments, just replace the light if it burns out (I still have original light after 2 years).

Good luck with your purchase.
    -Lud