Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rasp / File Handles

Rasp / File Handles

I recently purchased a few Iwasaki wood files and really like them. They came with Nicholson handles, but clearly the quality is not what it used to be, so I am looking for some alternatives. Are there any favorites that you like and know that would fit the 8" size Iwasaki wood files?

It's really hard to beat the scroo-zon file handles. Pricey, but they'll never fall off. This was the first of the retail places that showed up when I searched, but there are multiple sources: http://www.bettymills.com/shop/produ...LZF445-T4.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    It's really hard to beat the scroo-zon file handles. Pricey, but they'll never fall off. This was the first of the retail places that showed up when I searched, but there are multiple sources: http://www.bettymills.com/shop/produ...LZF445-T4.html
    That was one that I came across too. Didn't know if there are other good ones. If not this does indeed look good from the pictures.

I like Pferd file handles, the wooden ones, and the rubberish plastic ones.

Frank, I made my own handles for my set of Iwasakis. I used a small, tapered billet of oak for each and shaped it to fit my hand. I ended up with sort of a flat octagon that feels good in my hand. I wonder if something like that might work for you.
    Fred

Blog Entries
    Frank, I made my own handles for my set of Iwasakis.
    +1 on this.

It is easier with a lathe, but without a lathe it is still easy to come up with a file handle.

One of my small files has a wooden drawer pull for a handle, another has an old champaign cork. I think one still has a stick I picked up out of the yard when in a hurry one day.

There really isn't a good reason for not having a handle on a file.

Looking at the Scroo-zon has me wondering if some old wire nuts could be used to make my own version of those.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    +2 for making your own handles. They don't have to be round, you can make them hexagonal in cross section and round the ends for comfort.

If your in a hurry, cut up a dowel rod and round the end for your palm.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    If your in a hurry, cut up a dowel rod and round the end for your palm.
    +1 Ive done this for small files and a very small "craft saw".

Drill a small hole in a golf ball (solid core), stick the tang in the hole, file away.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Another vote for SKROO-ZON - they are re-useable and will last a lifetime, and the ones I have seen are made in USA and are hard maple.

Dave B

I have a bunch of scroo-zon I inherited from my machinist FIL, and they are on my most-used files. Also have a bunch of Nicholson screw on handles (yard sale $1 each) for some other files and rasps. The rest use use prime first growth winter hardened range fed north american hardwood handles. That's right folks, you cut a hunk off a tree branch, drill a pilot hole in it and jam it on the file tang. You can trim the ends a bit with your jack knife for comfort, but all the style in the world is built right in.

Darrell
    Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User

I didn't know you could buy file and rasp handles. I always made them myself. Pretty easy to do.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

skrooz on, love them.

(coming from someone who is making their own planes the hard way).

For small files or anything where you have a skrooz on that doesn't fit, drilling a hole in scrap and tapping the file into it works fine, though, and a drop of CA glue fixes anything that doesn't hold well.

I appreciate the suggestions to make my own, but I prefer to buy these instead. Sounds like Skrooz-on is a good option. Now I need to figure out which size fits the rasps I have...

http://www.pferdusa.com/products/201...201g0101P.html

I like their wooden handles, come in different sizes, for chainsaw and handsaw files: http://www.toolfetch.com/pferd-17045...EJBRoCv5Pw_wcB
    Last edited by Tom M King; 11-27-2014 at 9:44 AM.