Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I broke the Veritas small plow plane

I broke the Veritas small plow plane

I was using the plow plane and the depth stop slip very often. I tight the know hard several times. I am working on a few drawers and cutting the groves for the bottom.

In one of those readjustments with the depth stop, I felt the know was so loose, then suddenly it felt to the floor.

I don't see how can I remove the screw that remind inserted.

I have a small plow without a depth stop, want to buy it .

Seriously, what can I do? Do you know if Lee Valley sells only the body?

I don't know if Lee Valley sell just the body but I am sure they will find a way to help you. Give them a call, they are second to none when it comes to customer service.

I have the small plow plane also. I rubbed the depth stop post (bar) with rough sandpaper. This stopped the depth adjustment from slipping.

You just need a screw extractor and a way to accurately drill a small hole through what's left of the screw. If you haven't done this before, you might want to take it to a machine shop. A small local shop wouldn't charge much; around here it would probably be 10$-20$. Then you'll need a new knob; I'm sure LV will send you one.
    Or you could just send it back to LV and they can extract the screw for you. Either way, it's not a huge deal.
    When you get it fixed, do what David D. said and rough up the shaft. And don't twist the knob so hard.

Just call (or send an email) to the Lee Valley people.

They can probably sort this out for you.
    There was a depth stop retrofit for larger router planes.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have one for your size, too.

It can't hurt to ask...

http://www.leevalley.com/US/home/contact.aspx

The depth adjuster on that plane is inadequate. I have purchased two of them about a year and a half apart and they both had the same weakness where the piece that applies tension from tightening the thumb screw bears on the post. I have heard all the comments before about how you aren't supposed to bear down on the tool, but folks you are pressing laterally and thrusting forward, so if it is going to have a depth stop then it needs to withstand the forces of its use. There have been numerous mentions of this here since the plane was introduced over two years ago. Certainly Fidel should not have to resort to having a machine shop work on it. Please post here what Lee Valley recommends. Fortunately, I'm still within the 90 day warranty period on my newer one.

Blog Entries
    As mentioned above, give Lee Valley a call before doing anything else.

I was using the plow plane and the depth stop slip very often.
    Even Chris Schwarz recently wrote about depth adjustment and fence screws coming loose on rabbet and plow planes. He suggested using pliers to tighten them. A small pair of pliers has been used very lightly on the fence screws of my Record #778 when a long run is under way. The depth gauge screw is also checked regularly.

On my Stanley planes used for such work it is pretty much down to a routine of making a few passes and checking the fence screws and skate screws.

It is a real bummer when one comes loose unnoticed and messes up a job.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The one problem I have experienced with the LV planes is the loosening of of the depth stop. Now I have a permanent and easy fix!

Put away the vise grips. They will destroy the nice knurling. The beautiful LV brass knobs do not warrant such treatment.

Sanding the steel rods does not work.

Solution: Using a hacksaw or a Dremel with a small cut-off blade, grind a slot for a decent-sized screwdriver blade ... something similar to a Stanley chipbreaker screw slot. Now you can use a screwdriver to tighten and loosen the knob. This works perfectly. I have not experienced a single failure (loosening of the knob/depth stop) since this modification. I have mentioned it to Lee Valley.

All the LV knobs have received this treatment ...

Small Plow:

Skew Rabbet:

Router Plane Fence:

Hope this helps you.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel Fernandez View Post
    I was using the plow plane and the depth stop slip very often. I tight the know hard several times. I am working on a few drawers and cutting the groves for the bottom.

In one of those readjustments with the depth stop, I felt the know was so loose, then suddenly it felt to the floor.

I don't see how can I remove the screw that remind inserted.

I have a small plow without a depth stop, want to buy it .

Seriously, what can I do? Do you know if Lee Valley sells only the body?
    Hi Fidel

Contact Lee Valley. I am sure that they will offer to help out.

If you want to do this yourself, then you will need to drill out the remaining section of the screw. There are drills for this called "easy-outs". You will still need to get a replacement screw from LV.

I assume that you used something to tighten the screw to such an extent that it weakened the brass, and cracked ...?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    The one problem I have experienced with the LV planes is the loosening of of the depth stop. Now I have a permanent and easy fix!

Put away the vise grips. They will destroy the nice knurling. The beautiful LV brass knobs do not warrant such treatment.

Sanding the steel rods does not work.

Solution: Using a hacksaw or a Dremel with a small cut-off blade, grind a slot for a decent-sized screwdriver blade ... something similar to a Stanley chipbreaker screw slot. Now you can use a screwdriver to tighten and loosen the knob. This works perfectly. I have not experienced a single failure (loosening of the knob/depth stop) since this modification. I have mentioned it to Lee Valley.

All the LV knobs have received this treatment ...

Hope this helps you.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Ok, Derek...that's it. You are just WAY too clever. I seriously need to hang out with you for a couple of months (or so).

I've decided to fly out there and live with you. Don't worry. I won't get in your way. You will find that I will even be of help. Taking out the trash...mowing the yard...I'll even help out eating your groceries.

Yeah. This is the perfect time of year for me, you know...with winter coming on and all. I mean, you guys are getting ready to begin summer! NICE...we just might make this an annual thing!

And...if you insist...I will even let you pay for my plane fare.

Oh, man...this is going to be great!

G'day mate,
    Harold
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

I contacted Lee Valley.

They will send another screw to replace the broken one. I was told there are methods to remove the screw with "easy outs" or screw extractor and there are some other methods not using them.
    The customer service guy mention to drill out the screw and that will remove the threads that remind on the body.
    I am afraid to damage the body, so probably I won't do it.

I will learn how to use it without the depth stop. I am lucky that I just bought a Stanley 45. My intention was to use it for moldings. I guess I will have to use it for the groves if I cannot make the LV to work without the depth stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel Fernandez View Post
    I contacted Lee Valley.

They will send another screw to replace the broken one. I was told there are methods to remove the screw with "easy outs" or screw extractor and there are some other methods not using them.
    The customer service guy mention to drill out the screw and that will remove the threads that remind on the body.
    I am afraid to damage the body, so probably I won't do it.

I will learn how to use it without the depth stop. I am lucky that I just bought a Stanley 45. My intention was to use it for moldings. I guess I will have to use it for the groves if I cannot make the LV to work without the depth stop.
    Really? Hmmmm.....

Derek's idea of slotting the screw heads is very good. You could go one step farther and replace the brass screw with a (harder) steel one.
    Drilling and extracting/retapping the broken screw will work, but if you've never done it before you're not likely to have good results.
    Trying to find a machine shop to take this job on for $10.-$20. would be pretty much impossible in my opinion. If you have a friend with a home shop, you might find help there.

I call them again and told them, that I was not comfortable drilling out the screw.

This new Guy Conrad told me to send it back to them. They will remove the screw.

Fidel

Blog Entries
    I agree, the nice brass hardware doesn't deserve to be mistreated.

Hmmm, maybe a pair of wooden pliers...

This is an example of history repeating itself. The very first Stanley #45 & #50 planes (and possibly others) had brass holding screws with only knurling to tighten them. Shortly after the first wave Stanley put slots on these screws. My early #50 does not have slots in the screws. Some early screws resting in my accumulation have owner installed slots.

Stanley later changed the screw design to an easier to tighten by hand winged screw. Though the vibration of the plane in use still can shake those loose. Hence my routine of regular checking during use.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)