Thread: Drawer Slides for Outdoor Project

Drawer Slides for Outdoor Project

I'm building a grill cart that has 7-drawers. I need suggestions for slides that could work outside (I will cover the grill when not in use). I looked up stainless but they are way over budget. I'd rather use some nice under-mounts but do you think those epoxy coated slides would hold up?

Thanks,

Mike

Nice thing about the epoxy coat is you could reasonably replace them every couple of years, they are pretty cheap. If the slides aren't stainless, I'd be looking at a design that keeps them out of the weather, anything can rust outdoors.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Nice thing about the epoxy coat is you could reasonably replace them every couple of years, they are pretty cheap. If the slides aren't stainless, I'd be looking at a design that keeps them out of the weather, anything can rust outdoors.
    Just saw a guy on a grill site that claims he has had epoxy slides on his grill drawer for 12 years? He credits this to lining the inside of the carcass with aluminum to reduce moisture but I doubt this????

Mike

I'll bet the epoxy-coated slides would hold up for quite a while. I'd probably install with stainless steel screws---typical wood screws would probably be the first thing to rust out.

And you can always up-grade to SS slides down the road.

Shop I was at a few years ago did an outdoor kitchen using a product called boat board, essentially a type of dense plastic. Welded and siliconed the corners, no water getting in there. I think they used sugatsune SS slides. Bigger problem was the door hinges, trouble finding euro hinges that were 100% weather resistant. Found some SS cup hinges, but the springs and innards starting rusting in testing, don't remember how that turned out? I think if you design it with overhangs to give a little protection, maybe go full overlay too, its not actually that bad.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Seven drawers sounds like not too big or heavy, what about using HDPE or similar plastic and just slide the drawers on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Seven drawers sounds like not too big or heavy, what about using HDPE or similar plastic and just slide the drawers on that?
    Really good idea..

Quote Originally Posted by John Durden View Post
    Really good idea..
    If you do it this way, remember to include out-stops, so folks don't accidentally pull the drawers out of the cabinet. We've all become accustomed to slides that do this for us.