Thread: Spraying Advice Needed

Spraying Advice Needed

Hello,
    I'm building some kitchen cabinets and want to paint them white. Local paint store has suggested Benjamin Moore Advance, and I would like to spray it to get the best looking finish. I have a quality HVLP gun that runs off my air compressor that I've used to spray lacquer, and I'm wondering if I can use it to spray the Advance without thinning it--and if so, which tip size to use. I do also have an inexpensive Graco airless (model XR5) but that gives a lot of overspray.... So, can I do this with my air compressor/HVLP, or would I need an expensive multi-stage HVLP?
    Thanks very much for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy Charo View Post
    Hello,
    I'm building some kitchen cabinets and want to paint them white. Local paint store has suggested Benjamin Moore Advance, and I would like to spray it to get the best looking finish. I have a quality HVLP gun that runs off my air compressor that I've used to spray lacquer, and I'm wondering if I can use it to spray the Advance without thinning it--and if so, which tip size to use. I do also have an inexpensive Graco airless (model XR5) but that gives a lot of overspray.... So, can I do this with my air compressor/HVLP, or would I need an expensive multi-stage HVLP?
    Thanks very much for the advice!
    Benjamin Moore Advance is certainly a decent acrylic paint and great for door/window casing, crown, and baseboard, but not a pro-grade cabinet paint. I would suggest looking at one of the pro-line cabinet paints, such as General Finishes Enduro White Poly which can be tinted to match most BM colors. It's in a different class....way more durable & chemical resistant than Advance, and it sprays much nicer, lays down flatter, sands easier. You can order gallons of Enduro White Poly tinted from Homestead Finishings (limited color selection) or directly from the GF plant in Troy Wisconsin (a very broad spectrum of colors that match several big paint mfgs including BM).

Also note that BM Advance is known to yellow over time so if you are looking for white you'll be disappointed years down the road. GF Enduro paint will not yellow or fade over time.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I recently used BM Advance white paint for a large Murphy bed and attached bookcases. Used a Fuji 4 hvlp system. Found I had to thin the Advance considerably about 1 pint to a half gallon. Took a finished piece to the local dealer and he examined it and said looks like you thinned it quite a bit. ( 1 coat BIN primer and two coats Advance) I confessed to the amount to the amount of thinning I had to do to get it to spray properly and he said that was ok just that it takes a little longer to harden. That said the paint smoothed out remarkably well and my wife is super pleased. Much better than the SW oil-based I've used previously.
    Scott's observations about Advance yellowing you should check out with other experts, because if true it would be very disappointing. I wanted to use the GF Enduro White Poly but was never able to contact a person directly at GF and no reply email so I gave up.
    Good luck

Contact Benj Moore and ask their technical department for needle size recommendations.
    Howie.........

That's surprising; I've always gotten immediate service when I've called them. Normally, though, I buy GF products through Jeff Jewitt at Homestead Finishing, who also offers great CS and just about the complete GF product line.

John