Thread: rockwell delta Unisaw 34-450 may need new motor, I can buy for 200$

rockwell delta Unisaw 34-450 may need new motor, I can buy for 200$

I found on craigslist this rockwell/delta Unisaw 34-450.

owner said it was his uncles, hasn't been used in a few years, has a static phase converter (I think that is what he meant) that is currently not working, may just need some capacitors (his best guess)

he said everything else is working. any guess on what it would cost to get this saw running? either repairing the converter or getting a new motor?

I have a delta contractor saw I could probably sell for 3-400. so if I could get this saw running for 1-200$ that would be a upgrade for little cost.

I found this, is this all I would need to mount any motor on it? was is a reasonable quality 3hp motor cost?
    http://stores.renovoparts.com/43-802...-tilt-unisaws/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cody michael; 11-26-2014 at 2:42 PM.

I have a 2000 series delta contractor saw, currently has mobile base (if it would fit the new saw I would keep the base) do you have any idea what its worth? works good, I just tuned it up. and converted to 220 (would take less then 5 minutes to convert back to 110)

I have that same model Unisaw, a 1977 model.
    To answer your question,a lot depends on how much they want for the Unisaw.In addition to repairs/replacement to the motor, you will probably want to replace the fence as well. That can add another 3-$400.00 to the cost.
    The Unisaw uses a specific motor with a unique mounting.A new 3 hp motor is $875.00 from the Saw Center.A used motor may also be available. Check Plaza Machinery or the OWWM forum.It is also possible to fit a standard-frame motor to a Unisaw with a fabricated or modified motor bracket.
    You may get lucky and just need repairs to or replacement of the phase converter.However, if you need a new motor, the cost of restoration will go up considerably.
    I bought my 34-450 at a school auction. I paid $260.00 for the saw, as is.The motor and controls were good, but I had the arbor bearings and arbor replaced by the Saw Center.Thr saw had the front rail to the Unifence, but lacked the fence itself. I managed to locate a used fence for it.I also had to replace the electrical cords.I had to buy a throat plate,handwheel locking knob, and other miscellaneous parts.
    I did partially offset the cost of the Unisaw by selling my Rockwell Contractor's Saw for $400.00.
    All in all, I spent another $340.00 on the saw. It's been a great one, and I'm happy I got it. But restoring it did involve time and money!
    Rick W

thanks for the info, I just got looking and there is a similair (looks newer) better shape, unisaw that looks like it is 220 1phase from the cord. that they would sell for under 500. I might go look at that one instead. its a little further away but for under 300$ more to have a guaranteed working saw I can test may be something I can swing.

are the round style fences decent? would they be at least as good as the ones on my contractor saw? and I could upgrade that some day. just buying the saw would stretch my budget.

I think that you're right in looking at the more complete (and hopefully running) Unisaw. Hope it works out for you.
    The Jet-Lock fences are OK. Properly adjusted, they work fine.They're as accurate as you are!
    Rick

If you can weld or know someone who can you can make a motor adapter to allow use of any common motor framelike a 56. I have a '74 uni with a 1hp motor temped to it with an adapter I made. I still haven't run good power to my shop so 1hp is all I can handle and the oe 3hp waits it's turn.

google unisaw motor adapter or go to vintage machinery and the uni section to see a diagram.

I have found a working one, they say it's in very good shape, I could pick it up for 450, trying to decide if I can swing it

A functioning Unisaw for less than $1,000 is a bargin in my part of America

As a one year owner of a 70's vintage unisaw with the original fence, I can tell you it's a joy to run. There is no question the members of this forum will help you with any issues that crop up.
    Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    I have found a working one, they say it's in very good shape, I could pick it up for 450, trying to decide if I can swing it

You can get a decent motor from Grizzly for not too much money, but I'd still pass on it. You're going to spend way more fixing this saw than you think. It's the law of the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    I found on craigslist this rockwell/delta Unisaw 34-450.

owner said it was his uncles, hasn't been used in a few years, has a static phase converter (I think that is what he meant) that is currently not working, may just need some capacitors (his best guess)

he said everything else is working. any guess on what it would cost to get this saw running? either repairing the converter or getting a new motor?

I have a delta contractor saw I could probably sell for 3-400. so if I could get this saw running for 1-200$ that would be a upgrade for little cost.

I found this, is this all I would need to mount any motor on it? was is a reasonable quality 3hp motor cost?
    http://stores.renovoparts.com/43-802...-tilt-unisaws/