Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sliding table attachment or track saw

Sliding table attachment or track saw

I have a staircase project coming up and it is a great excuse to add to my tool collection. I've decided that there are 2 options available that will suit my needs for the staircase and would serve me well as an addition to my workshop.

Option 1 is a sliding table attachment for my tablesaw, there are a few options available, I was considering the grizzly version.
    https://www.grizzly.com/products/Sli...achment/T10223

option 2 is a track saw.

The price is pretty much the same, which would you rather have? I do a little of everything in my shop so it is hard to say that I have a specific need for one over the other and I think both would be nice.

IMHO, the sliding table attachment and the track saw have different "sweet spots"; the former being better for cross-cuts and mitering and the latter being better for working with sheet goods, although with a good table setup, it can be effective for cross-cuts of solid stock, too, as long as it isn't too thick. The downside to the sliding table attachment is that unlike a true slider, there is a meaningful distance between the edge of the sliding mechanism and the actual cut line, making it more like using a "more sophisticated" miter gage than the action and capabilities you get with a true, format sliding table saw.

I own both a sliding table saw and a track saw. (MiniMax and Festool respectively) I use them both. But in the shop, it's the former; in the house, it's the latter. I occasionally pull out the track saw in the shop for something it's ideally suited for, such as, um...well..."adjustments" ...to something that is already partially assembled. I also have a "multi-function table" for my track saw that provides a lot of utility during home improvement tasks.

I suggest you carefully think about what part of the stair building you want to use either of these tools for and choose the one that's going to do the best job for you "now" as well as over time. If you are doing installation work for others, the track saw might be the better investment due to the portability.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

IMHO the Festool Tracksaw is the way to go. While I don't have a sliding table saw I did purchase a Festool Tracksaw and MFT/3 last year and THEY ARE AWESOME!!!

You get perfect straight line rips as well as perfect 90* cross cuts if you have the setup. My one caution is that once you start buying Festool you may become obsessed (like I did)

My other suggestion is that you pickup a Festool vac as well as they are great. See what I mean you are already up to a saw, a MFT/3 and vac. Caution is the word with Festool but they are the best IMO.

I think the add-on sliding attachments for table saws fall way short of their usefulness. If you want a slider...get a real sliding table saw. With that in mind, the track saw will be way more versatile and useful.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I use my JessEm sliding table way more than my DeWalt track saw. They do 2 different things. I wouldn't get rid of either though.

Track saw all the way.

Also - make sure you pick up a stair template jig.
    Go to Lowes online and find the Stairtek Model # STTRTO.
    Then go to Home Depot and find the same thing.
    Go back to Lowes and call them on the phone and have them price match Home Depot ($19.99) and have it shipped to the local store.
    It will come into your local store in a couple of days.
    If you order it from Home Depot, they delay the shipping to your local store for a couple of weeks.

I watched this youtube video on making a jig, but, decided it was easier to just spend the $20 and buy one.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I'm going to have to side with Jim and Cary, they do similar but different jobs. I have both and won't part with either. Before you buy a slider either the Jessem, (which i don't think is available any more) Grizzly's, or Laguna's (I think all 3 are the same unit) review a post I started. The Laguna slider is intended for a top thickness 2" or more.

Thank you for the advise, I'm not traveling with my tools I have a lot to learn before I will be doing much for other people. I'm building a staircase for my new home with curved stringers. The treads are going to be trapezoid sand 48" long. My concern with the track saw is making multiple exactly the same treads. With the sliding table I'm pretty confident I can make a jig that will allow me to make repeatable cuts.

I wish I could afford a real sliding tablesaw but I think for someone at my level not making money with this I can't justify replacing my unisaw

I have a sliding table on my TS. Love it, especially for repetitive cuts doing production work. Next purchase will be a track saw. I agree with the other posters- similar but different jobs. Each would have it's own strengths and weaknesses.
    Bill R., somewhere in Maine

Even having a track saw & mft/3 table system I think I would try a taper jig on the cabinet saw first-
    http://www.finewoodworking.com/works...ering-jig.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by steve joly View Post
    My concern with the track saw is making multiple exactly the same treads.
    Have you thought about making a template and then using a flush cut bit in a router to clean up the cut after roughing them out with a bandasw or something? That way they would be exactly the same size as stated.

Thank you for the advise, I'm not traveling with my tools I have a lot to learn before I will be doing much for other people. I'm building a staircase for my new home with curved stringers. The treads are going to be trapezoid sand 48" long. My concern with the track saw is making multiple exactly the same treads. With the sliding table I'm pretty confident I can make a jig that will allow me to make repeatable cuts.
    Repeat cuts are certainly possible with the track saw and an MFT type setup.

Skip ahead to 3:33

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Repeat cuts are certainly possible with the track saw and an MFT type setup.

Skip ahead to 3:33

That at is a really nice setup, unfortunately that would be out of my budget, I'm looking to be in the $600-$700 range. It would work for my needs for sure though.

as far as a router with a template that is an option but I'm looking to add my tool collection as part of this project.

The MFT table is 45 9/16 inches wide and the track is trapped at either end (for normal setup). That means you’ve got to play around with it to do your 48 inch taper cut. In my opinion not worth the cost & effort when you’ve got a unisaw to rip on.

I wish I could afford a real sliding tablesaw but I think for someone at my level not making money with this I can't justify replacing my unisaw
    Steve

Either method will require some type of a jig to control all of the variables.
    A track saw will certainly crosscut 90 degree angles all day long, but that is the bread and butter work of a Tablesaw, with or without a slider.
    One question though: Does the slider attachment have the travel necessary to safely make the long cut?

I have a Festool TS75, with guide rails, and a Jessem Mast-R-Slide on my table saw. If I were cutting these, it would be on the table saw. Crosscut to length and build a taper jig(s) for the trapezoid angles.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)