Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop Design Reflection

George,for years....budding WW'ers would ask me what their next pce of equip should be.....Consider that this has been going on for a lot longer than the interweeb.I'd always,and to a certain extent still recommend a welder of some sort.

Start with a C.L. Lincoln "buzz box"....then,save your lunch money and SKIP a Mig...as WW'ers we need more precision,get a Tig.A Lincoln(or Miller)175 Square wave is more than adequate for fixtures and busted up equipment.Migs are very useful,but you'll go broke or completely P.O.'d at trying to keep up with spool changes.With Tig it's a simple change of a rod.Not bustin on the Mig process(we use them).....but in a WW'ing shop it pales in comparison to a Tig.Even though we have a wonderful O.A. setup(and know how to use it)...it dosen't have a whole lot of uses for a WW'ing endeavor.Buzz box and a nice Tig.

Spraybooth size IS determined by your make-up air....something no one ever told me?I mean,heck....we have one that is about as A.D.(Architectural Digest)as possible,600 sq ft,parapet brick construction,yada yada.Heck...that all was stupid easy.Nobody mentioned that it only takes 3 or so minutes to evac it in January....and they still don't.So,don't think of them in terms of "how big"...think how you're gonna feed it.Now,enter sheet metal equipment....it's simple economics.If you have to buy your "parts" from somebody,that'll only get you so far.Better to tool up and roll your own....not what,"gotta have it right now" folks want to hear but,it IS the reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Smith View Post
    George,for years....budding WW'ers would ask me what their next pce of equip should be.....Consider that this has been going on for a lot longer than the interweeb.I'd always,and to a certain extent still recommend a welder of some sort.

Start with a C.L. Lincoln "buzz box"...
    Well I started with an Everlast 300 AMP stick for about $260. The C.L. Lincoln AC "buzz boxes" in half decent condition were all going for about $150.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Smith View Post
    <snip>
    Spraybooth size IS determined by your make-up air....something no one ever told me?I mean,heck....we have one that is about as A.D.(Architectural Digest)as possible,600 sq ft,parapet brick construction,yada yada.Heck...that all was stupid easy.Nobody mentioned that it only takes 3 or so minutes to evac it in January....and they still don't.So,don't think of them in terms of "how big"...think how you're gonna feed it.Now,enter sheet metal equipment....it's simple economics.If you have to buy your "parts" from somebody,that'll only get you so far.Better to tool up and roll your own....not what,"gotta have it right now" folks want to hear but,it IS the reality.
    For spray booth I'm figuring on only using it when the outside air is the right temp and humidity, which leaves me a lot of flexibility in Mississippi. And I can't get into sheet metal, I'll have to drop beekeeping.
    Setting up a workshop, from standing tree to bookshelves

George,looking at your location/s....just a guess,would say you're traveling pretty much past our neighborhood.You and if it apply's,the wife should stop by.....just sayin.That is unless "No" Virginia is some kind of dig against our fair state?If you were to be traveling down Rt 81 S.......juuuuuust about the time you all would be thinking,"O.K.,we're in the hills now"(Lexington Va.)....slam on brakes and give us a call,haha.