Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Value of saws

Value of saws

I find saws like this at garage sales 3 or 4 times a year, usually marked $5. My intention has been to sharpen them and sell them. Do you think $30 - $40 is reasonable for a saw like this, sharpened well? I would do this next summer on Saturday afternoons. I am sure my wife could not stand the noise, and I do not heat my shop in the winter, although I might make arrangements for next winter. I was thinking of just taking the whole lot to a local auction house where they would fetch about a dollar for the lot. The first pic is an early D-7 in good condition, and the handle, second is a D-8 and the handle, last is a pic of the pile of saws. It seems to me crosscut saws would be in more demand. What do you think? Should I keep them and work on them, or get rid of them?

One.jpgOne handle.jpgTwo.jpgTwo handle.jpgPile of saws.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Where are these saws being stored? It won't take long for them to get in derelict condition left the way they are. Dust invites moisture to stay on them and corrode them. Clean them and at least lightly oil the blades.

Some of their handles seem in good shape as far as I can tell(but it isn't easy from that picture).

$35.00 is not an unreasonable price for a saw in decent shape with a straight blade. Especially if sharpened. Certainly the saw above with the nicer condition handle is worth it,or more, though I can't see the condition of the blade.

I would never put my tools up for auction. You take a terrible risk,and you lose money paying the auctioneer. It is easy to use Ebay,where you have control over a minimum price,at least. If you sell them right,you'd have a bunch of money to devote to upgrading other needs in your shop.
    Last edited by george wilson; 11-27-2014 at 9:27 AM.

+1 to what George said.

Or you could clean em up and sell em here, maybe not getting dollars you want, but helping out a budding woodworker.

Either way I'd clean and sharpen em up and try and sell em that way.

Regarding your non heated shop, I've heard great things from my contractor buddies about heated jackets, powered by rechargeable batteries like for cordless tools. Just a thought.
    Last edited by Judson Green; 11-27-2014 at 10:53 AM.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

A #7 with a straight blade, decent handle and sharp would easily be worth the price range stated. The main criteria is the blade, IMO.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Yes, they are a mess right now. I asked earlier and have made a bottle of oil to oil them(50% used motor oil, 50% paint thinner). I will be dusting them, oiling them and putting them carefully in a box for the winter. Thanks for all the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Where are these saws being stored? It won't take long for them to get in derelict condition left the way they are. Dust invites moisture to stay on them and corrode them. Clean them and at least lightly oil the blades.

Some of their handles seem in good shape as far as I can tell(but it isn't easy from that picture).

$35.00 is not an unreasonable price for a saw in decent shape with a straight blade. Especially if sharpened. Certainly the saw above with the nicer condition handle is worth it,or more, though I can't see the condition of the blade.

I would never put my tools up for auction. You take a terrible risk,and you lose money paying the auctioneer. It is easy to use Ebay,where you have control over a minimum price,at least. If you sell them right,you'd have a bunch of money to devote to upgrading other needs in your shop.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Used motor oil is nasty stuff. It might stain your handles. It's full of carbon and other crud. I would certainly not use linseed oil,but do you have any mineral oil? Failing everything else,can you at least filter the motor oil? Filter it through a wadded up pair of discarded panty hose,or a few layers of an old towel placed inside a large funnel empty gallon can with holes punched in it,or whatever you have on hand. but,don't use it dirty.

You're going to have to consider the cost of the saw, tools to sharpen it, and the time involved to clean and sharpen, especially if you're not an experienced saw filer. Then you can decide if it's worth it or not.
    I would also say get some heat in your shop. A cold unheated shop is worthless, and tools don't store well in one.

There is a need out there for a lot of the novice users to get a clean sharp straight quality saw for a decent price. The market for saws online vs in person is vastly different. I've got the same issue as you, in that I have about forty large saws and really only want about 8 , but won't sell anything I haven't straightened and sharpened.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 11-27-2014 at 4:58 PM.

Another option

You could also donate the saws to organizations like the Red Cross. They take them to disaster areas for cleanup. You can then write them off your taxes at market value. Hammers and nails or other human powered tools needed too.

Have a good Thanksgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Miller View Post
    You're going to have to consider the cost of the saw, tools to sharpen it, and the time involved to clean and sharpen, especially if you're not an experienced saw filer. Then you can decide if it's worth it or not.
    I would also say get some heat in your shop. A cold unheated shop is worthless, and tools don't store well in one.
    A cold unheated shop is not in the least bit, in any way, worthless. I totally disagree with your claim that it is, and in fact with an appraiser I could easily provide evidence that it is in fact worth something. You see the sun will soon be heating it naturally, in just a few months, and then all the money I spent heating it will in fact be as you say, worthless. As a matter of fact, I do have heat in my shop; I simply choose not to use it because it is a waste of money. I can have just as much fun sitting in my recliner in the house that is heated anyway so the dogs are comfortable and polish the nickle fount for a 228D Coleman lantern as I can spending $10 a day to heat my shop.

I knew that complaining would ensue about used motor oil. It is hard for me to differentiate between imagined concerns and actual concerns. I am going with the conclusion that the concern with using used motor oil is simply imagined and of no consequence.

Well,ignore my advice if you want. It was NOT a complaint. It was good advice. Used motor oil is full of all kinds of crud. If you want to put it on your saws,do so. Seems to me like at least filtering it would not be too much of an expense. You might get more for your saws if they don't get filth embedded in their handles.

I only have a career of experience to offer you. Do you always get angry when free sound advice is offered to you? I think this may be my last advice to you.

By the way,if used oil is of no concern,why bother changing it at all?
    Last edited by george wilson; 11-27-2014 at 6:21 PM.

Used motor oil is carcinogenic. New motor or mineral is generally not (well, some may be for all I know, but the strong link for used oil has been there for a long time).
    Last edited by David Weaver; 11-27-2014 at 8:10 PM.

Used motor oil is full of carbon,acids,metal crud and all kinds of stuff I don't want on my hands or tools. Mineral oil is good. Starrett instrument oil is high grade mineral oil. Mineral oil is even used on and IN the body (For enemas).

Just getting upset about the free advice those who are experienced are willing to give is not conducive to learning.
    Last edited by george wilson; 11-27-2014 at 6:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Well,ignore my advice if you want. Used motor oil is full of all kinds of crud. If you want to put it on your saws,do so. Seems to me like at least filtering it would not be too much of an expense. You might get more for your saws if they don't get filth embedded in their handles.

I only have a career of experience to offer you. Do you always get angry when free sound advice is offered to you? I think this may be my last advice to you.

By the way,if used oil is of no concern,why bother changing it at all?
    I was not upset, except about the heating part, I expected the debate on used oil. Todd Hughes (if you remember him) used it on his tools. My mother had a bunch left over when my father passed and I took it in to recycle and saved a gallon. I assumed it would be useful at some point. Based on your comments, I have gone out and looked and I have a new 5 quart pail of oil. I asked about oiling the saws earlier and got a response about mixing in some paint thinner to make a penetrating oil. Now I plan on using the new oil, mixing about 50% paint thinner, and oiling with a soaked rag. Your comments mean a great deal to me, more than you realize.

Well,I think my life would be more peaceful if I just did not give advice that upsets you,for whatever reason.
    Last edited by george wilson; 11-27-2014 at 6:30 PM.