Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Panel saw build

I have considered taking my .030 blade saw apart,and adding a short brass back to it. But,I am just careful to not get careless and kink my saws in the meantime. As opposed to some TV show.

My mention of poison wood was meant as a joke. I haven't used it,and didn't now it would cause skin reactions! I've mentioned real old mahogany I have that causes a rash on my fore arms. Heaven forbid breathing it!

Made a little progress today. Just some more shaping of the handle.

Notice the nice worm hole running right through the right side. There was a hole in the blank I started with about 4 inches away from the handle and probed it with a point so didn't think it went so deep. It did.
    I guess I'll fill it with epoxy and chalk it up as a testament to the tenacity of whatever it was that made the hole in this hard wood.

100_3061.jpg100_3062.jpg
    Last edited by Jeff Wittrock; 11-28-2014 at 6:02 PM.

Thanks Steve,

Sometimes I feel like I'm cobbling things together and should just spend the money on some "real" saw nuts. But I do find some enjoyment in making my own, and I guess there is some value in that .

Jeff

Nice job with those bolts and split nuts. How about posting a picture of that spanner you made?

Very nice handle Jeff! I always look at these hard to reach areas, like the insides of the V-notches and I look how the shape flows and the roundovers and how these shapes flow. In you handle it all looks perfectly allright. I love that worm hole!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Baker View Post
    Nice job with those bolts and split nuts. How about posting a picture of that spanner you made?
    Ryan,

Nothing pretty I'm afraid. I just used some 1/8" O1. After filing the notch, I hardened, then gave it a blue spring temper. The prongs are so thin, I'm still afraid I will snap them off.

100_3071.jpg

Some more work on the handle, and started polishing the plate. Also cut the hardware to length.
    I couldn't resist putting some BLO on the handle even though it isn't quite finished. If nothing else, the scratches show up better after a little oil.

100_3076.jpg100_3084.jpg

That'll work! With it tempered down to spring blue, it ought to bend before it snaps. And if it breaks, you can always just make it a little shorter!

Blog Entries
    Jeff,

Interesting build process and a beautiful result! I particularly appreciate your shop made SS saw nuts- attractive and practical. Thanks a lot for sharing your build pics.

Mike

Nice work Jeff. I like the handle a lot, the grip and angle of the handle loosk like you will get a well centered stroke. I am going to follow this to the end. I hope to make a saw for myself soon.

Chuck

Impressive work Jeff. Congrats. Look forward to the seeing the saw teeth being formed. Will that task be done by hand or by machine.

Stewie;

Blog Entries
    Bravo! Standing ovation. It so happens I am going to have some flamed maple left from the Hans Wegner chair build and I am hoping it is enough for a matched set of saw handles. I love the Kenyon pattern.

Thanks all for the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Impressive work Jeff. Congrats. Look forward to the seeing the saw teeth being formed. Will that task be done by hand or by machine.
    Stewie,
    On all the saws I have done up till now, I have filed the teeth, but 8tpi is the largest I have cut. I am considering 5 tpi for this saw and that won't be as fun to file.
    I don't have access to a foley or fly press, so I'm guessing I'll be filing the teeth.

I do wish someone made a simple punch arrangement that could be hit with a sledge to punch teeth. It wouldn't be fast, but faster than filing I'm sure and it would save on my files. Anyone know of something like that?

Since my wet saw worked so well for cutting the plate, I have been considering making a simple jig that would allow me to rough out the teeth using it. The water would keep the teeth cool, so I don't think that would be a worry. Even then, I would probably have to file out the gullet because of the cut-off wheel thickness though.

Actually, I don't mind the time it takes to file the teeth. I just hate to wear out my files on cutting instead of sharpening.

I decided on 5TPI rip with with ~8 degree rake angle.

As I mentioned before, the only teeth I have cut before now have been pretty small (8tpi). I decided to rough out the teeth using the same wet saw I used to cut the plate.

I cut a template from paper and marked the teeth using a sharpie and roughed the teeth out freehand on the wet saw instead of making any kind of jig. Not pretty, but it worked.
    100_3088.jpg100_3089.jpg

Then cleaned up with the file
    100_3092.jpg

Did I save any time using the wet saw? Probably, but it wasn't much fun, and had I made a bad mistake while using the wet saw, I could have done enough damage that I would have had to move the tooth line back and start again. The file is slow enough that it doesn't have the same risk. But you never know until you try and it was an experiment that worked out. I have few enough experiments that do work, so I'll call this a success.

I don't have a saw set. I've been meaning to get one.... In the mean time, I made a saw wrest and used that to set the teeth. Nothing elaborate, just a slot cut in a piece of O1 that fit the blade thickness.
    Last edited by Jeff Wittrock; 12-07-2014 at 3:44 PM.

Blog Entries
    Wow, this is a great thread. You are going to love that saw every time you use it.