Thread: Do you actually build anything?

Do you actually build anything?

IN another thread in the Off TOpic forum this remark was made:

Hi Moses,

I remember some of your posts on finding special 'memory' or other antique tools, and found them interesting. I don't remember you posting about what type stuff you like to build.

Do you build items to sell, for family use, or just for the pleasure of building? Are you a furniture builder, or perhaps a general DIY guy like me, building what is needed?

Got pics?
    When I looked, the forum for finished projects had ten people viewing and Off Topic had 58 people viewing. It is no wonder if people think I never build anything. The fact is I am a professional woodworker. I build curved range hoods. I have been a professional woodworker now for almost 30 years. I do not get a lot done at my home shop because I spend most of my time in my home shop messing with tools and lanterns. This was my summer project this year. I took a table my MIL found in the house they bought and stripped off 6 layers of paint and then sanded and repainted the table. THis was all done on Saturday afternoons, amongst washing the dishes and mowing the yard and misc. grocery shopping trips. It actually took me all summer just to get this done. How about yourself? Do you actually build anything?

Table & Chairs Before.jpgTable disassembled.jpgTable Finished.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Any pictures of the hoods?

I don't think that the amount of people in the woodworking projects vs off topic has anything to do with how many people actually make things. Gen ww'ing and off topic are where a lot of people hang out, not so much in projects or finishing for that matter.
    I think there are a lot of reasons people don't share what they make, biggest probably being that it can be intimidating to share work amongst so many talented craftsmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I don't think that the amount of people in the woodworking projects vs off topic has anything to do with how many people actually make things. Gen ww'ing and off topic are where a lot of people hang out, not so much in projects or finishing for that matter.
    I think there are a lot of reasons people don't share what they make, biggest probably being that it can be intimidating to share work amongst so many talented craftsmen.
    That's why I don't post my work. I've seen some of the stuff the members post and it makes me strive to be better, but not subject myself to criticisms just yet. I'm my own worst critic so far. My clients are happy. I do cabinets, not furniture grade.

Here's a taste of a wine room I built in April 2013: IMG_2050.jpg IMG_2053.jpg Soft maple. I wasn't entirely happy with the semi-gloss and gold on the onlays, but the client was pleased and I received much work from this job. 380+ wine bottle capacity plus decanter storage and shelves behind the doors. I offered dovetail rollouts and it was too expensive, go figure.
    -Lud

Blog Entries
    +1 on pictures of the hoods.

Usually my project builds are posted in the Neanderthal Haven.

My work is not on parr with many of the others. I am still happy with what I can do.

Currently working on a tea cabinet. It will either be used in the house or sold at the Farmers Market.

A few in progress pictures have been posted in reference to other threads. When it is finished pictures of it will be posted.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

We build three different styles of hoods in my department in 5 different wood types. THey are unfinished and sold to large chains that furnish cabinetry for Menards and the like. We build an upper carcase of bending ply and veneer it with contact cement sprayed on. Then the base is added. Another guy and I build 3 or 4 of these in a day. In the past year and a half I figure I have built around a thousand. THis is the most common type.

000-Artisan.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Hi Moses,

I have probably seen your work at home improvement stores. Like Matt said, it is intimidating for me to show pics of the mundane stuff I build for around the house.

I have built cradles, rocking horses, a built in buffet, credenza, and other stuff for our house, and the kids/grandkids. I built an oak kitchen for our previous house, and have been working for at least two years on what I call my 68 drawer kitchen for the current house, which has been in the remodeling process for 8 years. At 72, I am a bit slower than glacial pace on this stuff, and I have to keep up some rentals as my day job.

Rick Potter

PS: If my question seemed accusatory, sorry, it wasn't meant that way.

I resemble that remark.

It sometimes appears that all I'm managing to do is start projects....

P1040738.jpgP1040780.jpgP1040929.jpgP1040930.jpgP1040931.jpg

The free standing cabinet was appropriated for SWMBO bath, upstairs.

The remaining photos are from the bath I use, which has drains that are clear
    and no little kid toys scattered for decoration.

Mostly plywood, but every joint fits and is mine - for better or worse.

I encourage every SMC member to post their completed work in the Woodworking Projects area...that's what it's for. It's not about critique (unless requested by the poster) and projects from simple to extremely complex from woodworkers novice through pro abound. There is something to enjoy--and learn from--in every project by every member. As much as I enjoy the most exquisite craftsmanship from the most experienced folks, what I truly admire are those "first projects". We all had them and should be proud of the effort and the result. And one of the things I personally do in that forum as a moderator is help to keep it focused on finished projects and work-in-progress exactly for those reasons.

Jim
    SMC Moderator

Blog Entries
    There is a finished project forum (actually Woodworking Projects now that I look)? I had to go to the index to see for myself! When I am on the Creek, I typically peruse the Off Topic, General Woodworking and Power Tools and the Workshop forums, and once in a while Project Finishing. I really need to broaden my horizons!

Justin, that is quite the wine room, very nice, congrats.
    NOW you tell me...

I don't care. I just like the Sandra Bullock picture.