Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long between Thanksgiving Meal and Dessert?

How long between Thanksgiving Meal and Dessert?

I say 3 minutes.
    My wife says 3 hours.
    Two extremes.

What is the good and right and proper all-american time to eat dessert after Thanksgiving meal?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Enough time to let the dinner settle, 30 minutes.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I'd like to wait longer, we're at about thirty minutes but I've got to hit the road to get back to take care of man's best friend.

So I'd prefer dinner, wait an hour, desert, then some coffee. Or just dinner and then some coffee would be nice too. But nobody drinks coffee after dinner these days.

We usually have about an hour between the meal and dessert with coffee. Any time that works for your family and friends is good. It is just a wonderful day to spend time together with those you love. The food is a bonus.
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

What you do is eat yourself full of the dinner and clean up the table, set the dessert out on the island (various types of pie) make sure the ice cream is in the freezer and accessible and then when people feel like they have enough room now they can help themselves to the desert. No clock needed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Umm....you're supposed to, wait?

Fancy that....who would have thunk it?

We say grace promptly at 4:00pm - ut the general quaffing begins as soon as one sets foot in the door, followed by the "unorganized" gorging.
    The "organized" gorging begins with the "amen" and continues as long as the participants are conscious..... .
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 11-28-2014 at 3:48 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

1/2 hour, then 1 hour, and then 2 hours unless you are my grandkids and you can add a few more in there! That's why I baked 12 pies.

It depends on who I have over. If she was cute, might be several hours. If her parents came too, might be several minutes. I'm married now, of course, and usually have my parents and my mother in law over. For dinner, I serve apple pie with a slice of turkey on top.

We usually start snacking, grazing and drinking beer and wine around 11 AM or so, then eat about 1-1:30. Pie gets served anywhere from 4-5PM, and a light supper of leftovers a little while later. My theory is that you stuff your face with the good food the first time around, let that move through for a couple hours, then you can eat a lot of pie (pumpkin, derby and apple are what get served here). My sister uses chargers as plates for the Turkey Day meal (I think they're 14" in diameter)...one can fit a LOT of food on those.

I'm glad we wait on having the pie--it lets me succumb to the turkey tryptophan for an hour or so.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    It depends on who I have over. If she was cute, might be several hours. If her parents came too, might be several minutes. I'm married now, of course, and usually have my parents and my mother in law over. For dinner, I serve apple pie with a slice of turkey on top.
    Well, my wife is very cute, so I guess I'll just stick with her good pleasure. It was three hours, but I made up for the time with the volume of calories. Thanks all for going along with a tongue in cheek - while waiting for pie and whipped cream in the cheek - post.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Long enough for a couple games of pitch or pinochle is the rule in my family.

your dining room is not a waiting room SO why wait to eat the dessert

My parents served dessert around 30 minutes after dinner. It was close to 6 pm before we even had dinner so we couldn't wait too long for dessert. My brother and his wife always go to the in laws during the day for dinner so my parents don't serve dinner until evening.

Whatever time it takes to clear the table and clean up accordingly. And honestly, it depends upon how much room is available for desert and how many deserts are on the menu. LOL 'Gotta have room to sample everything! So a little delay may be necessary to meet that requirement...but 3 hours? NO Way...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I eat desert first then if theres any room left I have dinner
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander