Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What brand of work boots?

What brand of work boots?

What kind of work boots do you use? I currently have worn through a pair of redwings, and I'm looking at some Danner work boots. But before I drop the cash on them, what other brands are good?
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Danner has treated me well. I have a couple pair. One is a mid weight hiker, the other is a heavier hunting boot.

Many years ago when I was working contract forest work, someone broke into my camper and stole a pair of logger boots. I used my pair of the hunting(Canadian style?) Danners for work for a few months while they were on the one year warranty. Anyway, through the scree, blow down, and 8 - 10 hour day use, I blew out some stitches, and broke some air bobs off of the sole. I returned them because of the stitches, and got about 90% discounted toward a new pair of Danners. When I sent them a thank you note, explaining what had happened and the abuse I had put the boots through, they sent me a hat and t shirt. I currently have some Danners, Hoffman caulk pacs, and leathers.

That depends on the work that you do and what the company you work for requires, or if self employed, what you require to keep your feet safe. When I worked for Boeing , they gave us a $50 voucher a for Redwings. I wore out two pair over the years, Redwing work boots suck, just generally uncomfortable and clunky. There is a good selection at http://www.sheplers.com. That's where I ended up when I needed new work boots.

I don't wear work boots for my paying job. However, I wear work boots whenever I am working on projects at home. I am currently wearing Thorogood (spelling?) work boots and they are still Made in the USA. I like them. I was wearing some China made Red Wing work boots, but they didn't last long at all.

I drive truck and install swingsets in all conditions. Rain or shine,, the toes and soles have worn out of my redwings. This summer I'll be driving a Pete 379. And I need the higher ankle for support walking through customers yard with heavy weight. I don't need a steel toe but it's nice to have when you need to kick somethig. And they gotta be great to wear for 18hour days
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Redwings are my first choice for work boots. My last pair held up for years, with re-soling.

I bought a pair of Danner hiking boots to go to Isle ROyal. I love those things. I try to spare them a little so they last many years so I dont normally wear them for work but if you needed a good tough work boot to be warm and comfortable in with all sorts of weather those would be it. I wear Sketchers tennis shoes to work on a cement floor all day, I use an insole, and my feet feel fine at the end of the day. They would not be even close to water proof.

I think a work boot is something you just have to plan on replacing every couple years, they get put through the mill.

Okay, I shilled Danner, now where is my T-shirt and hat?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Nike Combat boots. Wearing a size 14, I look for boots/shoes that are light in weight yet durable. I've had my Nike boots since Dec 2010 and they're still holding up rather well. I wear them in and out of uniform.
    -Lud

The company I used to work for gave us $100 voucher for steel toed shoes, any style, just had to be steel toed. I found a pair of Rockports at a local shoe store and I love 'em! They're light-weight, comfortable, good looking and only cost me $25 out of pocket.
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

My workboot of choice the last 6 years is Chippewa #25220 (made in America); I wear workboots on the job(GC construction supt) and 90% of the time when I'm home. It only takes
    about 4-5 days to break in good, and I really like the "un-lugged" soles- don't pick up mud.

I've worn Redwings for a number of years- good boot and my favorite (out of production since the late '90s) was Carolina Boot with horsehide leather.

I have worn Redwing for over 30 years the boots I have now are Irish Setters that are a Redwing boot. I would not recommend these to anybody as they have not held up at all I called reding and complained and they said they are only warranted for 6 months but the sole of one of them became unglued about 7 months in and the soles of both boots are worn pretty hard even though I now am retired and don't abuse them like the older Redwings.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    I drive truck and install swingsets in all conditions. Rain or shine,, the toes and soles have worn out of my redwings. This summer I'll be driving a Pete 379. And I need the higher ankle for support walking through customers yard with heavy weight. I don't need a steel toe but it's nice to have when you need to kick somethig. And they gotta be great to wear for 18hour days
    18 hour days?? How does your employer expect anyone to function properly with 4 to 5 hours of sleep per night?

Blog Entries
    I've always worn Redwings. I like them.

PHM

Wolverine boots do it for me, soft toed and steel toed.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Blog Entries
    I used to wear Timberland top of the line Hiking boots circa 1982. I probably had 10,000+ miles on them. Back then, they made a superior boot. Now they are urban casual IMO. They finally died a year or two ago. I will get the Danner Mountain Light II GTX. I prefer strongly the all leather, one piece uppers even though they are heavier and less flexible. I broke my ankle a while back and hate it getting bumped, rolled, etc. when ascending or decending skree, etc...

i choose more leather and padding over lighter weight. I end up wearing the boots for both hiking and heavy work where I want foot protection. My paying job is in an office, so they don't get worn every day. At home, I am generally barefoot (even in the shop unless working with hot metal).
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"