Thread: clearview dust collector noise solutions

clearview dust collector noise solutions

I'm installing a CV in the corner of a 20' x '30' shop. I think it's the 1800 model with the 15" impeller. With the wynn filters it cranks out 88 dB. I need to vent into the shop. I've looked at the clearview website which has some good info. I'm wondering what you guys have done that's worked well to reduce the noise (and what you've done that hasn't worked well)
    Sorry my message is so long, I didn't have time to write a short one.

Mine is not CV but even more loud. Draped an insulated blanket around the filter area, put up foam absorbers on wall behind the filters, and a muffler between the impeller and filters. Dave

Marty,

Your best bet is to build a small closet around the cyclone and filter set and build a ceiling-to-floor return air plenum down the interior stud wall of the closet (inlet at top in the closet and a grille-covered outlet at bottom into shop) to provide for muffled return air and motor cooling. I'm fortunate that my CV is in a tall crawl space under my basement shop (house on a hillside). Check the CV forum and photo gallery accessible through their website for ideas on other user solutions.

When my cyclone is running, there is also some dust-generating machine running -- planer, jointer, saw, etc. Those machines are loud enough that quieting the cyclone won't have a huge effect.

Blog Entries
    The noise when your sawing or planing isn't the problem. Once you shut down the machine, the DC is really loud. And you don't want to be turning your DC on & off frequently or the motor will overheat. You want to make sure you know what the duty cycle is for your blower motor. Motor life can be drastically shortened by short cycling.

I'm in the process of implementing a DC system in my attached garage/shop. The blower will be going in a sound proofed room in the basement. The room will be built with staggered stud walls with 2 x 5/8" drywall on both sides & mineral wool insulation between. I will be fabricating a long muffler for the exhaust to quiet it before it returns to the shop. I'v done lots of research on this & am pretty confident that I'll be able to leave the DC running without driving myself insane from the noise.

I built a room to house lumber, plywood, and the cyclone is in that room. I cut a 50" wide doorway opening between the rooms, to move the plywood flat to the saw, and the air returns to the shop through that opening, but it is a few feet from the filter, and most of the louder noise stays in that room.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I started my closet using 2 x 4's and staggering the cross braces. Orderd ROXUL safe and sound to help insulate. Also bought 4×8 sheets of sound barrier. Not sure if I will make a dividing wall or not between the filter and cyclone. I’m also not sure how I’ll finish the exterior (plywood, drywall, or sound barrier). I considered making a muffler for the filters but I don't have the space for it. I do think it would help.
    Sorry my message is so long, I didn't have time to write a short one.

Marty, you are approaching it correctly. If you haven't done so already go to the Clearvue Website and look for the Education Center/Video Central. Then look at the Sound Compression Video. Ed Morgano has a nice video of constructing a closet using Roxul and an internal baffle.