Thread: Media blasting vintage tools

Media blasting vintage tools

Hi guys. I see Harbor freight has a media blasting cabinet on sale. I was thinking about getting one to clean up vintage hand tools (planes, chisels, etc.). Has anyone tried this? If so, what kind of media do you use? I have a jug of evaoprust I've been using, but it's a lot of elbow grease, and I'd like a simple method. I'd also use it on garden tools, and just about anything else that's rusted around the shop, garage etc... seems pretty cheap to get a set up to start, so I won't have too much invested in the set up. Also though it might be fun to try......

Media blasting can dimish the value on some antique tools. Another thing to consider is that blast cabinets take a big volume of air to do a decent job.

Blog Entries
    I have done it with 120 grit filtered sand. It is great for user tools but it does leave a matte finish on the metal. For a plane you would need to lap the bottom and sides afterwards. I had a 220V air compressor with 10.2 SCFM@90PSI and I had to constantly stop and let the compressor build up PSI And that was with a 60 gallon tank.

A blast cabinet is good because it recycles the media. It is also much safer than blasting in the open. You can use walnut hulls for blasting and they leave a very fine finish. I have not done it myself, but I have VW magnesium engine cases walnut blasted by a professional service. You can order walnut media from most reputable suppliers.

Is this step in preparation for repainting?

Any cutting edge I find that is so badly pitted that
    sandblasting is warranted no longer comes home with me.

I'm with Mel on this, if you're doing this with resale in mind,
    check with some of the "Big Dogs" in the secondary market.

They might counsel another approach.

Part of the appeal old tools hold to collectors is their "seasoned" appearance.
    Last edited by Jim Matthews; 11-28-2014 at 7:56 AM. Reason: seasoning

Use glass beads, they won't damage the surface and they do a good job of cleaning up rusted surfaces. If you just want to clean up a surface that isn't rusted you can use walnut shells.

Glass beads can be purchased at Northern Tool.
    Walnut blasting shells can be found at Harbor Freight and at most gun shops.

The harbor freight gun is a piece of junk. Do yourself a favor and look for a used cabinet. Besides air volume, the gun and matching it to your CFM is everything in media blasting. Look for a used American made cabinet from Econoblast, Econoline, or Trinko. Trinko guns are made in Michigan, and they can be fitted with any size air feed adjusted to your compressor. Trinko also makes all the parts for rebuilding an old, worn out cabinet for short money. I have $350 invested in my 48" X 36" cabinet, and all the interior parts are brand spankin' new.

You will also want good dust collection so you can actually see what you're working on. Without it, it's like working in a sand storm. You can't see what you're trying to clean up.

Glass beads and/or walnut shells are very good to use on metal that isn't heavily corroded/pitted. Otherwise, black beauty is what I use for the heavy duty stuff. Where a good face mask for lung protection. These cabinets leak fine particulate that is very bad for your lungs, even with brand new seals.
    Jeff

I bought three braces that had been glass bead blasted. They were not collector stuff, I wanted them to use. I'm happy with them, but it would have ruined a collector tool.

thanks for the info. Not looking to sell these items. I also don't want any damage done to the tools. Might get one anyway and use it for stuff other than tools.

If you want something easy to remove the rust try molasses and water. Feed molasses or deer molasses that is. I was shown this after a friend saw a pile of rusty hand tools I was given. One part Feed Molasses to ten parts water. Mix it up and toss the rusty tools in. After the tools have sat for a couple of weeks take them out and rinse them off. If the rust doesn't come off completely, toss them back in for a while longer. Once the tools are rinsed off you will need to dry them completely.

-Alden

Alden thanks for the tip! alan